First details about Toontracks upcoming EZKeys

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
I had heard this was in development, but had seen little details about what it really was. This new piece over at Sweetwater sheds quite a bit of light on Toontrack's EZKeys. While it is not the most "METAL" product ever, I can see it being a great tool for many here that require a piano part now and then or have broader scope in their individual music.

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/ezkeys/

EZ Keys Features at a Glance:

• Premium sampled Steinway piano for exquisite and expressive sound
  • Powerful yet incredibly easy to use songwriting tool
  • Works as a standalone application or as an RTAS, AU, or VST plug-in
  • 14 mix-ready grand piano sound presets, all individually customizable
  • Cut, add, move, analyze, and randomize your chords and song structure
  • Incredibly simple drag-and-drop MIDI file import, analysis, and export
  • Customizable velocity curve, to match your individual playing style
  • Includes "Music Theory Basics," with examples playable within EZ Keys

Despite the fact that I already play keyboard (not my specialty but I can get around and do what I need to do) it seems like a cool product. Can't wait to try it out when a demo is finally released.

This sounds great. I have access to a steinway but it's in a busy location and I don't foresee being able to mic it without having some traffic sounds being picked up.

I admit I laughed at this at first.
After watching that video I'm very interested, doing lots of dubstep stuff for some guys at the moment and I could see this being useful.

That thing looks sweet. I really do not care about the piano sounds, they sound usable, but other than that you can use it in a songwriting situation for other instruments like pads or orchestrations or whatever.

doesn't sound amazing or anything but that's not the point i guess. it's a songwriting tool, and a pretty clever one too.

doesn't really interest me because i like to write my own piano parts and have libraries with sound i like more than this, but i can see this generally selling well.

I'll say the same as I did in another thread;
I think the way they've ordered the loops is pretty intuitive and easy to use, handy for a demo not much else though. I think the smart transpose would be better if it could convert from major to minor/other modes respective of the key and not just add its own recommendations for notes and transpose stricly by interval . Don't think it'd be that hard to do... I dunno, didn't seem that great :confused:

EDIT: seems like the non working MIDI DRAG&DROP is just a demo limitation!

just tried the demo...

one very stupid thing about this is that you can't drag the midi files into the sequencer, you HAVE to use the, very stiff feeling internal song browser.

this sucks imho. i'd rather like to cut up different parts, change the chords to fit my song and then drag the midi clips into my sequencer.

seems like the only way to do it atm is to export and import again the midi clips.

cheers
S.