FIRST drummers to use Double bass?

Carcass29

3oIF
Sep 21, 2005
New York
I was just curious as to who was the first to ever use double bass? ...some bands probably had them for show but to actually play them, I saw an old video of Keith Moon in the 60's having double bass...what about Carmine Appice? I remember him using them as well.

If you have The Beatles album "Sgt. Peppers...", listen to "Good Morning Good Morning" at 2:07. There's definitely a little double-bass drum run there, and it's quite amusing! Not that it was the earliest or anything, but definitely ahead of most artists.

Carmine Appice will threaten you if you try to tell him anyone did it before him. :lol:

image_279

louis_bellson.jpg

Louis Bellson -1939 - he wasn't ripping any carcass or anything, but it still counts.
I ran FOH for him a year or two ago (yes he is very old) and he definitely played it for solos.

Anything you see in modern metal dates back to the jazz/blues dudes in the 1930's ;)

7-string guitars, check.
electric guitars, check.
double kicks, check.
raspy grinding low vocals, check.
lots of technical solos, check.
fast paced, check.
non-traditional song structures, check.
lots of live feat. visits from players in other groups, check.

:lol:

louis_bellson.jpg

Louis Bellson -1939 - he wasn't ripping any carcass or anything, but it still counts.
I ran FOH for him a year or two ago (yes he is very old) and he definitely played it for solos.

That guy's kit is fucking sweet, especially considering the year and music.
Dude must be like the fuckin Crypt Keeper now though.

And is this pic taken Mid MOTLEY CRUE STICK THROW?????

It´s funny when people freak out because they don´t understan why you are using TWO bass drum, or a doble pedal.

I´ve seen Cumbia (popular music in Mexico) drummers scratching their heads while watching my drummer setting up his doble pedal, and asking him "what is that for", my drummer explained them and still they couldn´t get it. there was a drummer here with a doble bass drum kit, but he thought that the other bass drum was for hit it at the same time to the other to be louder HAHAHA.

Anything you see in modern metal dates back to the jazz/blues dudes in the 1930's ;)

7-string guitars, check.
electric guitars, check.
double kicks, check.
raspy grinding low vocals, check.
lots of technical solos, check.
fast paced, check.
non-traditional song structures, check.
lots of live feat. visits from players in other groups, check.

:lol:

This is funny 'cause it's true. :lol: George Van Eps was playing a seven string with a low A in the '30s. :kickass: