First ever mix, opinions? (Ola Englund stems)

edlamb0306

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2011
Hey guys,

I don't have an interface for recording guitar, no knowledge of drums and not even a bass for that matter, so I can't record any of my own stuff.

But, I thought I'd give mixing a go! I had the 'Unknown Title Song' stems from a while back on my hard drive and set to work attempting to mix them using tuts and tips found on teh interwebz.

I know what I probably would change, but some opinions, critiques etcetera would help me on the right track.

CLICKITY CLICKITY <-- (SEE BELOW FOR NEW LINK)

Cheers! :kickass:

There are a few things in thix mix that'd could be better.

The most noticeable is the snare. Some EQ would do the snare great, along with a touch of reverb.

The Kick is a bit too clicky for my taste, but an EQ on the kick wouldn't hurt, maybe some compression?

There are a few things in thix mix that'd could be better.

The most noticeable is the snare. Some EQ would do the snare great, along with a touch of reverb.

The Kick is a bit too clicky for my taste, but an EQ on the kick wouldn't hurt, maybe some compression?

Noted, thanks!

Theres EQ/reverb on the snare, but maybe I should turn the reverb up a bit (or change its params.) and adjust the EQ.
Come to think of it, it is a bit clicky. I'll add a bit more compression and EQ to get rid of that. Thanks again!

Any more suggestions?

Your mix is not bad for your first, but there are a lot of things to fix. First off, the mix overall is HUGELY lacking in body and tone, it sounds like you've scooped out as much 500-800hz as possible. The kick is too clicky and too loud, cut some high-end out of it and turn it down. Do not compress it. The snare is incredibly splatty sounding and has no body at all, it sounds like only the bottom of the snare was recorded. I can barely hear the OHs. The guitar tone is workable, but it could use a touch more gain, and the guitars need to come way up, as the drums are burying them. As with everything else, the guitars are also hugely lacking in body. I don't hear any sort of bass guitar either. I think you could benefit from new drum samples, but what you have is what you have.

Your mix is not bad for your first, but there are a lot of things to fix. First off, the mix overall is HUGELY lacking in body and tone, it sounds like you've scooped out as much 500-800hz as possible. The kick is too clicky and too loud, cut some high-end out of it and turn it down. Do not compress it. The snare is incredibly splatty sounding and has no body at all, it sounds like only the bottom of the snare was recorded. I can barely hear the OHs. The guitar tone is workable, but it could use a touch more gain, and the guitars need to come way up, as the drums are burying them. As with everything else, the guitars are also hugely lacking in body. I don't hear any sort of bass guitar either. I think you could benefit from new drum samples, but what you have is what you have.

OK so not that great then haha :lol:
I thought the bass was a bit too loud so I turned it down, maybe a bit too much... oops :rolleyes:

I'll spend tomorrow looking at your suggestions and try to make it sound at least half decent. Problem is, I can't really identify half the things you're talking about... All part of the learning process I suppose!

Thank you! :)