First Ever Post! Lemme know how bad I really am

Daronspence

New Metal Member
Dec 24, 2011
Dallas, TX, USA
Hey everybody! I stumbled across the forum about a month ago and now I believe its high time for me to get some decent advice from the like of the masters. So enough with intro's lets hop to it.

Recording on a budget so here's the setup
Beast Gaming PC (so no problems here)
Fast Track Pro
REAPER
Guitar Rig 4
Drum Kit from Hell

All guitars are DI
no Bass in the song as of yet, since I don't personally own one
Plugins are stock REAPER plugins and Kjaerhus Suite

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, this means the good, the bad, and the butt freakin ugly. I am still young and want to learn. Maybe not for a living but definitely as a hobby that could turn into something more :D

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO this is not bad at all for your first mix, dude. :)

Guitars are acceptable, can't say more about them without a bass..
Did you doubletrack the rhythm guitar, or is there just one centered rhythm guitar track?

Drums are... well... they are DFH. :D I don't like the source sounds at all..

IMO this is not bad at all for your first mix, dude. :)

Guitars are acceptable, can't say more about them without a bass..
Did you doubletrack the rhythm guitar, or is there just one centered rhythm guitar track?

Drums are... well... they are DFH. :D I don't like the source sounds at all..

+1 to all of this

Get yerself some new drum sounds, if you can. If all you have to work with is DFH, then more power to you. Guitars definitely need a bass behind them. Definitely not turrib'ul for a first mix, man!

I think the main rhythm is double tracked but all the little lead lick things aren't.

And I hear what you both are saying about DFH...any suggestions for replacements and I'll see what I can do :D

Like I said, still learning and anything you got I am willing to hear

I think the main rhythm is double tracked but all the little lead lick things aren't.

And I hear what you both are saying about DFH...any suggestions for replacements and I'll see what I can do :D

Like I said, still learning and anything you got I am willing to hear

I usually don't double my lead-tracks, just FYI. :D

For drums, the best you could do in my opinion is to get Steven Slate Drums and Superior Drummer 2.0 and then mix them together. Say.. S2.0 for OH's and SSD for all skins. But I don't think that you, as a beginner would invest ~500€ just in software to get started, haha.
So for real: The best you could do in your situation is to get a free drumreplacement plugin, such as apTrigga and then just search on the net for some nice drum samples, here on the forum are some nice ones too. First you should try to get your kick and snare right, since the DFH oh's are okay for now I think.

I hope I could help you a bit! :)

A good easy and reasonable solution for midi drums is to buy the Metal Machine add on. It sounds waaaay better just by opening it. The Aptrigga solution is great and cheap too because you can find really good free samples here. You also need a bass in there, but you already know that.