First full song I've written/First time recording. Help would be greatly appreciated

tagradh

May 13, 2007
trough
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13374

As it says in the title this is the first full song I've written and I'm pretty new to trying to record properly, always just fucked around with my PodXT to save ideas which never came to anything. Not played guitar that long and haven't had a chance for nearly a month so some playing is a bit messy.

gifv critisisms, constructive or not. ;p

(any spelling mistakes are due to my drinking homemade scrumpy for the past few hours)

Bring those drums up. In metal, drums are the driving force. Bring up the drums, especially the Kick... and maybe bring up the Bass a touch too. Guitar tone is very old school black metal. If you were shooting for that, you nailed it. Overall... not bad for a first-timer.

Bring those drums up. In metal, drums are the driving force. Bring up the drums, especially the Kick... and maybe bring up the Bass a touch too. Guitar tone is very old school black metal. If you were shooting for that, you nailed it. Overall... not bad for a first-timer.

Thanks, I'll mess around more later. I only really spent about 4 hours or so doing this and from what I've read that is nothing compared to some of the people here.

Word, bring up those drums. You certainly got that old school black metal style of production going on, which you may or may not want. It's up to you. Bring up the bass drums and it wouldn't hurt to add a touch of reverb to the snare. Just a tad.

Good song!

Word, bring up those drums. You certainly got that old school black metal style of production going on, which you may or may not want. It's up to you. Bring up the bass drums and it wouldn't hurt to add a touch of reverb to the snare. Just a tad.

Good song!

Yeah, I just brought the whole drums up, especially the kick and it sounds better to me. I've got the bass a bit higher too and I'll try sticking more reverb to the snare.

Sure. What do you think about the composition? I've never really tried to write a full flowing song so it's a bit weak really, dunno how to improve it.

I think it's pretty good man. I'd probably throw a dynamic/build-up kind of break in there when you go back to the main riff near the end and then maybe do a fade out on the last 4 bars. But, that's just me talking. Everyone has to develop their own writing style for better individuality.

I think it's pretty good man. I'd probably throw a dynamic/build-up kind of break in there when you go back to the main riff near the end and then maybe do a fade out on the last 4 bars. But, that's just me talking. Everyone has to develop their own writing style for better individuality.

Aye I didn't really think that part flowed so well but I have no ideas at the moment. I was thinking about fading it out if I don't get vocals on it but I have no idea how to fade out Addictive Drums.

Aye I didn't really think that part flowed so well but I have no ideas at the moment. I was thinking about fading it out if I don't get vocals on it but I have no idea how to fade out Addictive Drums.

You just load it back in to your DAW as L and R stereo tracks after mixdown. And put the fade out on that.

That's about right to get rid of boxiness, 100-300 is more the mud range.

And I'll listen to this when I get home dude!