First Mix (and first post here!)

looder

New Metal Member
Nov 18, 2009
Hey guys!
Well, that's my first post here (after reading / hearing a lot on this forum)
it's a small part of a song I wrote, not really heavy but yet.
I would like to know what do you think of the mix and how I can improve it.. (I know the drums sucks at the moment but....)
Please, give me what you got..

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Riff1.mp3?w=3ef6e893
link was broken,here's a new one.

Update: [Bass line & Drums fit more one the click]
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3059686/ri1.mp3
Elad.

The new link is working. This is your first mix? Yeah, it could use some help. ;) (but no one's first mixes are that great) Maybe it would help if you could tell a little about how things were recorded, and what you're overall goal for a sound is. At very first listen, the guitars immediately made me think of old school Motley Crue "Shout At The Devil" type of sound. :) Also, don't get discouraged if it takes a while for people to chime in and give you some pointers.

at first I would like to thank you for commenting!
About the click, guitars are on clicks drums are not. I really need to work on my drums playing since it's not a real drum kit but a Midi-Controller Keyboard connected to Addictive Drums VST. (I don't have enough equipment to record real drums at the moment)

My main goal of sound is Opeth's / Porcupine Tree's sound's of guitar.
I'm using the following:
For guitars: a PRS CE22 connected to Vox Bulldog distortion effect and into my Vox AD50VTxl (2x12" speakers)
I record it with a C03 Condenser (Samson) on axis about 6" from the amp.
Guitar is double tracked Hard left/right and the 2 lead guitar are R32 and L32.
I Used the Build-in EQ on Cubase SX3 (even though I have Alloy by iZotop and some of the Waves plug-ins, I'm just not controlling them well yet.)
Took one of the Guitar Limiter presets and edited it by my ear a bit.
No compressor is attached tough.

For Bass I used Trilogy VST once again with a Midi-Controller Key Board (WHICH IS NOT ON THE MIX because of a mistake I did and balanced it to 0db. I will upload a newer version with the bass line)

And for drums as I said Addictive drums VST plug-in with a key board.
If any information is missing please tell me and I will add.

Thanks in advanced, Elad.

at first I would like to thank you for commenting!
About the click, guitars are on clicks drums are not. I really need to work on my drums playing since it's not a real drum kit but a Midi-Controller Keyboard connected to Addictive Drums VST. (I don't have enough equipment to record real drums at the moment)

My main goal of sound is Opeth's / Porcupine Tree's sound's of guitar.
I'm using the following:
For guitars: a PRS CE22 connected to Vox Bulldog distortion effect and into my Vox AD50VTxl (2x12" speakers)
I record it with a C03 Condenser (Samson) on axis about 6" from the amp.
Guitar is double tracked Hard left/right and the 2 lead guitar are R32 and L32.
I Used the Build-in EQ on Cubase SX3 (even though I have Alloy by iZotop and some of the Waves plug-ins, I'm just not controlling them well yet.)
Took one of the Guitar Limiter presets and edited it by my ear a bit.
No compressor is attached tough.

For Bass I used Trilogy VST once again with a Midi-Controller Key Board (WHICH IS NOT ON THE MIX because of a mistake I did and balanced it to 0db. I will upload a newer version with the bass line)

And for drums as I said Addictive drums VST plug-in with a key board.
If any information is missing please tell me and I will add.

Thanks in advanced, Elad.

oh god here goes the harrasment of you having pirated plugins haha.

but on the mix the main problem is really the drum timing. you really need to quantize those to the grid or atleast move them on the grid. just really work on your playing with the guitar and drums with the click. the tighter everything is played the cleaner it will sound. keep it up man!