First Post. Recording set up question

TWPietz37

New Metal Member
Sep 24, 2005
Hey guys, I'm new here and would like to get all of your expert opinions on what to get for my new recording set up. As it is right now, I have a presonus firepod, a shure sm57, an MXL small diapragm condenser and a sennheiser e609. Things I need are more mics (want to do drums and guitar), a PC for recording and a good program. I have a max budget of around $900 (not including the recording program) for everything and I know a guy who could assemble a PC for me from parts. So what do you guys reccomend? I do mostly hard rock/metal stuff, everything from Dokken to Alice in Chains to Nevermore.

Thanks,
Tyler

You're in a jam I think if your limit is $900. I recommend "borrowing" a program from a friend if possible, even though not entirely legal...maybe demo a program and then when the trial period ends you can dump everything on your computer and demo it again...Damn you still need a soundcard though even with the firepod if I'm not mistaken...Given your situation, I'd get one of those 2nd-tier drum mic packages (~$200 US) and a couple decent overhead mics. Purchase the affordable aptrigga plugin and dig up some tom samples from someone to blend in with the crappy 2nd-tier mics. You can get an m-audio or emu soundcard for around $100 I think for the firewire port. HTH just my quick opinion.

Genius Gone Insane said:
You're in a jam I think if your limit is $900. I recommend "borrowing" a program from a friend if possible, even though not entirely legal...maybe demo a program and then when the trial period ends you can dump everything on your computer and demo it again...Damn you still need a soundcard though even with the firepod if I'm not mistaken...Given your situation, I'd get one of those 2nd-tier drum mic packages (~$200 US) and a couple decent overhead mics. Purchase the affordable aptrigga plugin and dig up some tom samples from someone to blend in with the crappy 2nd-tier mics. You can get an m-audio or emu soundcard for around $100 I think for the firewire port. HTH just my quick opinion.

Thanks for the reply. Just to clear a few things up; I was implying I was going to "borrow" a program, just didn't want to say it outright :tickled:.

Also, I believe the firepod acts as an external soundcard and I have recorded with it on my shitty old 700mhz pentium II PC, but I might end up buying a new soundcard anyway. I figure between the e609 and sm57, I have two toms covered so that leaves one more tom, the overheard mics (maybe get another MXL?) and the kick. Any ideas?

Tyler