First review of Distant Tides

DoomsdayZach

The Professor was right
Dec 11, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.doomsdaymusic.com
Ok, only posting this here as a new thread because I know a large portion of the people on this forum are interested in Matt's disc, and for those who aren't, you just haven't listened to it at all :lol:

One of the main things you will most likely hear any metal reviewer bitch about is the amount of shitty discs they get. Few are optimistic enough to point out the fact that every now and then there are some good or even great cds in the slew of crap. This is a disc that, once I opened the package I knew it was going to kick ass. Now, admittedly this was because I’ve been listening to this disc just about every step along the way of its writing and recording, but despite hearing the songs since infancy, the disc has exceeded my expectations more than I can even describe. The problem with writing this review is after listening to the finished disc extensively for 5 months (I’ve had my hands on it since October). At this point, any objectivity I may have had has been thrown out the window long ago, but there’s still a review to be written.

Dark Empire is, for the sake of ease in the description, a straight up metal band (think the likes of Rage and Nevermore) tinged with power metal, neoclassical, and even a hint of death metal here and there. Aside from the opening two tracks (We Will Never Die is a generic yet strong power metal anthem, and The Alchemist is reminiscent of Iron Savior), this is one of the few discs that I’ve heard in a long time that has its own identity. Guitarist/Songwriter Matt Moliti proudly wears his influences on his sleeves (Michael Romeo touch on the instrumental “The Final Vision” and the Children of Bodom-ish “Northern Sky” melody) without falling into the trap of copying any of the artists. Songs such as the mid-paced Distant Tides and A Soul Divided have a feel to them that is very unique.

Of course, vocalist Jens Carlsson is sure to bring comparisons to his other bands, Persuader and Savage Circus, but this is a completely different beast than either of those. Dark Empire is much more stripped down vocally than Savage Circus and a little heavier and darker than Persuader. He still sounds like Jens, but once again, this has a different identity and Jens sounds like a whole new vocalist. The band is rounded out by Noah Martin (Lilitu, Blood Promise) and and Teemu Tahkanen (with the little dots over the a’s) who provide a solid backbone for the songs while still adding their own flair. The band plays as a solid unit, and while it is very song oriented, there are still plenty of shredding solos all over the album, the way metal should be! Add to that very solid production by Jeremy Krull and Matt and you have yourself one hell of a debut album.

I cannot say enough about this disc. The only potential downfall is the length: six tracks clocking in at about 37 minutes. As I’m not picky and happen to have a very short attention span, so I rather enjoy being able to throw this disc on and listen to it 5 times in a row without getting antsy. With the release only a month away, you’d be well advised to pre-order yourself a copy from CD Inzane. You probably won’t be finding this disc at your local brick and mortar store, so get that credit card out and pick up this sumnabitch right away, and expect very big things in the future. The Dark Empire is rising, and the Distant Tides draw near!

Website - www.darkempire.nu
Download the Northern Sky websingle HERE!!!

originally posted on www.doomsdaymusic.com

Ah thanks... i wish i could take credit for the design, but i didn't have shit to do with it haha. the only thing i don't like is the frame for reviews is VERY restricted... we may have to do some re-tooling at some point.

So how many people have their pre-orders in for distant tides?

I pre-ordered Distant Tides a while ago. I can't wait 'till it comes on the 25th. I also got the websingle for Northern Sky. It's the ultimate videogame song EVER!! And ToRuinAll can definitely back me up there.

And another review has surfaced online, this one from the good people at Metal Temple!!

El Diablo! Matt Moliti really managed to kick my ass with the debut of his band Dark Empire. Have you ever imagined how a band would have sounded like if they tried to fuse Onward / Brainstorm / Children Of Bodom / Symphony X? Well imagine no more! Dark Empire not only tried but also succeeded in making this formula work under the guiding fury of guitar virtuoso Matt Moliti!

Matt started forming the band back in 2004. After he experimented with lots of different genres of Metal music, he stated enlisting musicians for his band. The current lineup features Noah Martin (Lilitu), Jens Carlsson (Persuader, Savage Circus) and Teemu Tahkanen (DIG). "Distant Tides" is the band’s debut attempt, though the song "The Final Vision" has already appeared on the sampler CD for the Progpower V festival.

As you can imagine, everything here rotates around the stunning performance of Matt. However what I appreciate the most is that he avoids filling the songs with lengthy solos. On the contrary all songs have a killer rhythm section where the modern production gives an additional edge. Some extreme elements do exist, brutal vocal lines here and there, some ultrasonic drumming... but it is quite obvious that Moliti’s roots are buried deep inside the traditional U.S. Power Metal school.

In its short duration, just above 36 minutes, Dark Empire convinced me that a bright future lies ahead of them. By far one of the most interesting releases for 2006 so far!

This one was from the fine folks at www.metal-temple.com, so swing by and check their shit out!
I'm sure there will be more reviews forthcoming... if anyone finds any others, post them here for all to read.

I was just sent a copy. Will write up a review this week. Just got through the first spin and I'm loving it!

From Metal Rules:

Matt Moliti’s Dark Empire offers a mix of power, prog, and thrash elements with a lot of shred and powerful vocals on their debut album DISTANT TIDES. Most of you will not recognize Matt’s name…yet. With the amount of talent he possesses he could very well have a bright future in metal. Matt, who’s been playing guitar since he was 13, attended the Berklee College of Music where his guitar teacher was none other than Joe Stump. The name from Dark Empire that many will recognize is vocalist Jens Carlsson of Persuader and Savage Circus. Rounding out the line-up is bassist Noah Martin (Lilitu) and Teemu Tahkanen (DIG).

The six-track album opens with “We Will Never Die”. It starts out sounding like a more typical power metal song before moving into heavier riffs that are not far removed from something you might hear from Persuader. This track has a flashy guitar solo, followed by a keyboard solo, and then finishes off with more guitar leads with some cool sounding sweeping. Next up is “The Alchemist” which is currently my favorite track on here along with the song “Northern Sky”. “The Alchemist” is one of the faster tracks although it never goes to all out speed metal tempo. I really like the solo on this one, it’s not all shred but has memorable slower parts as well. “A Soul Divided” begins with a thrashy triplet pattern riff whose heaviness is muted by the overlain keyboard part. This one features some death metal styled vocals that doesn’t sound like Jens singing. These vocals don’t really fit the song or the albums’ overall style, but it’s not annoying to the point of hitting the skip button. The death vocals return in the album’s title track, “Distant Tides”, and fit the song better here. “Distant Tides” starts like it could be a slower mid-era Soilwork style song before moving into more of a prog feel (imagine the Symphony X style mixed with parts of the Gothenburg sound). The song is one of the slower paced on here. Album closer and instrumental “The Final Vision” is over 7mins long. Most songs on here are between 5-6+ mins long making the length of a six song album comparable to some bands’ 10 song albums. “The Final Vision” is good and does have some great lead playing but it also drives home that if this were an album of all instrumentals it wouldn’t have been nearly as impressive. Thankfully Matt is not just a shredder, he has great riffs and is able to write songs that serve as more than time filler until a solo comes along.

Although this album is great and the playing is all top notch, I wonder if the line-up will remain intact for the next album?! Jens is busy in 2 other bands, so who knows. If he’s not involved Dark Empire will have some large shoes to fill that’s for sure. Matt’s songs are the thing that keeps this alive though, so as long as he has the right mix of musicians with him, I’m sure we’ll hear more great stuff like this from him and Dark Empire.

I just got the album from The End Records this week, and I just checked their site and it's already sold out :lol: Anyway, I'm really impressed...some very fine material indeed. The styles involved are right up my alley, and all blend well...superb guitars by Matt...and Jens gives an outstanding peformance. I also like the occasional growls...nice touch :kickass: And very well done with the production, top-notch. So when does the next album come out? ;)

Rumor from someone is that he hopes to have another disc summer 2007, but this is unconfirmed and as always, very much subject to change. Don't mark your calanders just yet... just enjoy this one for now :)

Oh, there's another review from Metal Storm that needs to be posted once i stop being so fucking lazy.