First time mixing for my own band in a year... srsly need some advice.

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
Yeah I was scared as shit when I was micing up the drumset of our drummer. how is the room going to sound? small as fuck. I've read so much about micing up drumsets that I just forgot everything I knew when I was actually starting to mic up the drums. 3:1 rule. hu? Yeah. fuck you. I was using the me:drums rule.

I'm a superior-user since I started and I'm used to samples. Our drummer wanted a "real" drumsound so that's what we tried to achieve.

This is going to be released on a sampler so I really need some honest opinions about this mix. Don't be shy, I can take it ;).

Some infos:

Guitars: LTD MH1000 - maxon od808 - 5150 - s-preshigh impulse, quadtracks

Bass: Cheap-Ass Ibanez bass (fresh strings) - just used di's with lot's of processing

Drums: Tama Superstar

Snare - SM57 (Top) i5 (Bottom) - Api3124 (Top) Audient ASP008, 20% Slate
Toms - D2/D4 - Api3124,
Kick - D6 - Api3124, (100% Slate/LSD-Drums)
OH's - Oktava Mk12 - Audient ASP008
Room - T.Bone SC400 - Audient ASP008

Vocals: Horseman - SM7b - Audient ASP008

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2932654/Attr/ATTR%20-%20Filthy%20Hands%20Of%20Fate.mp3

Thanks in advance.

Tones are awesome man. Well, everything apart from the guitars. The mids are sitting in a bit of an odd place... too high, they're around the 1k area, and would be better suited being down more in the low mids... would be heavier and vox would end up clearer. This can be an issue with the Catharsis impulses at times.

Everything else is pretty great though, I'd just try to get a bit more glue in there. Whether using saturation, compression, limiting, or whatever else might work for your flow.

How did you deal with hi-hat bleed on the snare? It's pretty darn natural for a sound such as this.

thanks guys. reason it's clipping is because of a very very quick master with fg-x on the 2nd bus. drums are all natural besides the mentioned 20% on the snare. I felt the same way about the lowend... will raise the bass!

How did you deal with hi-hat bleed on the snare? It's pretty darn natural for a sound such as this.

Cubase gate on top+bottom channel. My drummer had to put his hi-hat as far away from the snare as possible. Forgot to record the snare-trigger to gate it... would have been much easier to gate that snare.

+ instead of adding highend to the top snare, I compressed the bottom snare with waves 1176 (medium attack, slow release, 8:1) and some ssl e-channel (your advice actually;)) for some air and awesomeness.

Emdprodukt, I would like to reamp your guitartracks. I believe they are Maxon+5150-preamp?
Can reamp them with 6L6 poweramp/V30cabinet and Cascade Fathead ribbon mike.

Cheers,

Tom

Emdprodukt, I would like to reamp your guitartracks. I believe they are Maxon+5150-preamp?
Can reamp them with 6L6 poweramp/V30cabinet and Cascade Fathead ribbon mike.

Cheers,

Tom

that's very nice but I actually really dig the guitarsound. I have all options to reamp my di tracks and I'm still thinking about it. I don't think I have the time to upload the di/preamp tracks until the deadline. Thank you very much for helping me out, though!

I dig the guitar sound also and wouldn't change it, bass and kick could form pile of steel penetrating ass. So the guitar itself would pretty much sound really nice then. Sounding really nice as it is now. Only complaint would be the hihat that kinda shed the big picture a bit.

i highpassed the guitars around 100hz, maybe ill lower it. I think they will sound better after raising the bass to fill the gap. Thanks for listening!

Hey dude, after listening carefully i didn't get so annoyed of the hihat no more. Sounded actually prime shit after a little audio break. This is juuuuuust a taste matter but i'd like to hear more clank in the hihat and less sizzle! :) But as i said, taste taste taste.