First victory for Latham, sort of...

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8661589%255E1702,00.html

Howard scraps pollie super
February 12, 2004

PRIME Minister John Howard said today the government would close down the generous parliamentary superannuation scheme for all new MPs and senators.

Mr Howard said the scheme would be replaced by one in line with community standards with taxpayers contributing nine per cent of parliamentarians' salaries instead of the current rate of about 69 per cent.
"The party room has approved a cabinet decision to legislate immediately to close down the existing commonwealth superannuation scheme for people elected at the next election," he told reporters.

AAP

How many more of Labor's policies will Howard pinch before the next election? Answers on a postcard!

A larger story on it:

Howard scraps pollie's super
February 12, 2004

PRIME Minister John Howard said today the government would close down the generous parliamentary superannuation scheme for all new MPs and senators.

0,3600,320710,00.jpg
Mr Howard's announcement matches Labor's promise
Mr Howard said the scheme would be replaced by one in line with community standards with taxpayers contributing nine per cent of parliamentarians' salaries instead of the current rate of about 69 per cent.

"The party room has approved a cabinet decision to legislate immediately to close down the existing commonwealth superannuation scheme for people elected at the next election," he told reporters.

Mr Howard called a special meeting of coalition MPs and senators after question time today to gain approval for the change. It comes two days after Labor announced it would close down the parliamentary superannuation scheme if it won government at this year's election.

Currently MPs who have served at least eight years in parliament retire on an annual pension of $51,000 and the amount increases with time served and responsibility.

But Mr Howard refused to match Opposition Leader Mark Latham in giving up part of the prime ministerial pension if he won office.

"I will take the entitlements I have under the existing scheme," he said.

Mr Howard said the current superannuation system for politicians was not overgenerous. "I don't think the present package is overgenerous, but I recognise that there is a community perception that the superannuation part is too generous," he said.

"By community standards the superannuation on its own is generous, but it's part of a package."

Mr Howard said the government was acting now to ensure the issue did not linger.

He said there were other more important issues facing the country.

"The most sensible thing is to recognise that, to get on with it and do something immediately, not just left it drift on for months and months," he said.

"This is not an issue that looms large in terms of a good or bad future for Australia."

Mr Howard said he did not (not) share Treasurer Peter Costello's concern that a less generous superannuation scheme would dissuade talented people from entering parliament. "As far as I'm concerned good MPs will always come forward for reasons other than money," he said. "I think some people are influenced by money but a lot of people are dissuaded by the present remuneration package, but you know people are influenced by a whole range of things.''

AAP

It's all bullshit. Peter Andren started putting the pressure on the Pollies and their super, and the existing ones still get to keep it it's crap. To say that it's not generous when looked at as a part of a package is crap. They can get it the day they leave office.

John Howard retrospectively raised the age at which I can access my super, and can walk out bells and whistles.

They're all as bad as each other, I recall a "talk to Bob Carr" on ABC radio one day. A guy rang in and said that he was disgusted with politicians super. Carr pointed out in his typical fashion that the guy was mistaken, and NSW politicians couldn't get their super until normal retiring age.

The ABC journo asked him if he wanted to qualify his statement.

He replied that his election promise was paid in full, and that the super system was restructured to meet community standards.

The interviewer gave him two more goes to qualify his statement, then pointed out that it was only for people coming in next term.

Carr stated that "you cannot act retrospectively on these areas, when people may have their lives planned out around the scheme that they are on. Besides, politicians are short term employees, we do not have jobs for life."

I'm pretty sure that none of us do have jobs for life, either, buit we still can't get to it until 60.

They're all the fucking same. Just more equal than the rest of us.

BTW, I thought that Latham had his first victory when that cocksucker Costello with his shit eating grin started playing the man, and not the ball.

How could a party lose this next election, when they could have great ads like

"Do you want Mark Latham, or Abbott and Costello ?"

They keep saying "If we were in private industry, we'd earn much more than this", then vote themselves pay rises.

In private industry they would have to perform well to justify the pay........until they get to the executive level, then get paid regardless of their fuckups

So you mean when I am running the country and hire Spiffo as my secretary (as I said I would) he is going to be earning MORE THAN ME?

Ive decided to promote you to Deputy Primeminister, get ready for a pay cut. I will however let you hire a sexy secretary of your own.

This should be an interesting year.... The more progressive policies Latham comes up with, the more fucked little Johnny will be.