First 'W3' Pressing of 1000 copies, almost gone!

Man... I got my copy... and about a day or two late my car was stolen... and guess what was in the car? The CD. So today I find the car (cause the idiots who stole it parked it at a meter and never paid it, so I received notice of these tickets, called them and got the location, went there and got the car...) But! The CD wasn't in it. So I am pissed. Really pissed.

just placed my order from the end, dont want to miss out on this, ive played the shit out of agaisnt the seasons and pursuit of the sun.
i really dont know why ive waited so long, always meant to pre order.

I have considered a 'donations' paypal button / address. People are free and able to download, listen and pay for whatever they'd like, but shit, everything on our end costs money to do and a band has got to find new ways to survive, man. :kickass:

I have considered a 'donations' paypal button / address. People are free and able to download, listen and pay for whatever they'd like, but shit, everything on our end costs money to do and a band has got to find new ways to survive, man. :kickass:

Don't do it, dude. Not now. Not ever.

Read Ayn Rand. Atlas Shrugged. Or The Fountainhead. Intellectual and creative property is worth every penny charged. Probably much more.

People today will rip you off seven ways from Sunday if you give them a chance. I certainly hope "DeathBlade" was kidding. Even if he was, it's piss-poor joke.

Illegal downloaders are freeloaders. They're highway robbers who demand that musicians become their slaves. They may not use a gun, but their actions are no less violent. Or no less final. The end result in both instances is the death of the person being robbed. Only, in the case of musicians, the death suffered is the loss of creative control and, ultimately, livelihood.

I don't understand the mind of a thief.

And I hope I never do.

Bill

^ What? I download heaping amounts of music for free, but I also bought this CD and have bought many CDs, as well as supported lots of bands by going to shows, buying merch, etc. I'm also a musician, and am quite offended that you would consider me a "highway robber who demands that musicians become my slaves". Come on now, thats just ridiculous.

^ What? I download heaping amounts of music for free, but I also bought this CD and have bought many CDs, as well as supported lots of bands by going to shows, buying merch, etc. I'm also a musician, and am quite offended that you would consider me a "highway robber who demands that musicians become my slaves". Come on now, thats just ridiculous.

If your "heaping amounts" of downloads are illegal, you're stealing. Plain and simple. You can justify it all you want. But the fact of the matter is you're stealing. It's against the law. It's the same as dubbing a friend's DVDs, or CDs, or reprinting books. It's piracy.

Worse, such an attitude of it's-out-there-and-I-can-BitTorrent-it-so-I-will creates a culture that comes to believe music is -- or should be -- free. It's not. It costs a shitload of blood, sweat, tears, time, energy, and monetary resources to create music. It's not meant to be free unless bands -- like Radiohead or NIN or whomever -- wish to make it so. But only bands of that size can. And, in so doing, they ruin it for smaller bands (and Indie labels) that can't afford to give away its intellectual property by perpetuating the idea that music should be free for the taking.

And it does turn bands into slaves -- people who have to then beg, plead, hope, pray, and cajole fans to come to its concerts, buy its t-shirts, and, hopefully, support it enough monetarily to make the next gig, or the next album, possible. Bands aren't charity cases. They don't live by donations. They're not street musicians with a cardboard box at their feet into which passersby toss pittances. Bands create a product and sell it at a fair price. If people steal their product, the bands lose.

I stand by my original post. Illegal downloading is robbery.

Bill

^ Actually in Canada its not against the law. And you can say that all you want, but you're basically implying that all people who download illegally 1) Never support fans 2) Are completely oblivious to the struggles of smaller bands. Both of which are absolutely not true of me, and you're completely wrongly stereotyping me such. Not to mention I'm a student, and am completely poor, so downloading music for free is about the only way I can get my hands on music. Also, your original post wasn't how illegal downloading is robbery, its how stupid the people who do it are.

^ Actually in Canada its not against the law. And you can say that all you want, but you're basically implying that all people who download illegally 1) Never support fans 2) Are completely oblivious to the struggles of smaller bands. Both of which are absolutely not true of me, and you're completely wrongly stereotyping me such. Not to mention I'm a student, and am completely poor, so downloading music for free is about the only way I can get my hands on music. Also, your original post wasn't how illegal downloading is robbery, its how stupid the people who do it are.

No. My post clearly uses the words "Illegal downloaders." People who download music legally aren't at issue here.

Are you saying there's no law in Canada that makes illegally downloading a band's album against the law? In other words, there's no law in Canada that protects a band's intellectual property rights? If so, then it's not illegally downloading. It's just downloading.

But if you're trying to justify ILLEGALLY downloading by saying you're a poor student, that doesn't wash for at least three reasons:

1. You wouldn't steal a car because you can't afford to pay for it, so why is it okay to steal music because you can't afford to pay for it?

2. You're completely supporting my initial post by declaring that you DESERVE to take a band's music. You don't. You don't have a right to own music that you didn't pay for any more than you have a right to take a car you didn't pay for. Stealing is stealing.

3. I don't know if everyone who illegally downloads music is oblivious to the plight of labels, bands, and musicians. That doesn't really matter, though. Whether they INTEND to rip off bands isn't the point. The fact is, they do.

Look at it another way. Say you walk into a music store. You don't have a dime to your name. But you want one of the CDs. Do you (a) tuck it under your shirt and walk out with it (because you have a right to it), or do you (b) walk away from it and save up some money until you can pay for it? Your argument implies you'd chose (a). That's what illegally downloading music does. It steals a CD from someone.

Bill