First Watershed Review (ish)

Is that not a good sign? If an Opeth-n00b hails it as album of the year (albeit in March :p), I think that definitely bodes well for what we as fans will think.

Yeah, and as for mellotrons, I thought they'd been synthesised, but in the Ghost Reveries sleave it clearly states that Per played "Mellotrons, Organs, Grand & Electric Pianos", as well as Mikael being credited with "additional Mellotron". I would assume Electric Piano means synthesiser, right?

Either way, it sounds like a mellotron :p

some comments on the review would mean that the reviewer didnt listen very well, after all he listens to album must hear the destinctive mellotron type sounds then is impressed and sounds almost supprised when mike tells him wait till the album comes out its full of good stuff like mellotrons?

perhapse the sounds on gr were the soft synth plugin you can get that recreates the mellotron sounds and on this album they have hired in the real thing, dont think we will notice that much difference myself after all it was a tape based sampling system.

just had an idea (thats me stuffed for the day now) next album should be produced by Allan Parsons and Mike, get some real good input from Alan and take them to another level, after all what would dark side of the moon be without Alans painstaking work.

:kickass:

I would assume Electric Piano means synthesiser, right?

Nope. It means exactly what it says. It's an older "classic rock" instrument- like the Hammond B3 organ or the Mellotron. It was meant to be an easily amplifiable stage piano, and of course, it sounds nothing like a normal piano. You can hear it on Hours Of Wealth and a couple other places on GR.

It looks something like this:

fender%20rohdes%20mark%20i.jpg

just had an idea (thats me stuffed for the day now) next album should be produced by Allan Parsons and Mike, get some real good input from Alan and take them to another level, after all what would dark side of the moon be without Alans painstaking work.

:kickass:

I agree. I mentioned this in a different thread maybe a year ago now. I think Mike and Alan would make a really interesting team.

every mellotron sound/rhodes/hammond/etc sound on gr was just played on per's nord lead/electro (its audibly obvious/you can even see in behindghostreveries)

sincerely hoping they borrowed some real equipment to record with this time

every mellotron sound/rhodes/hammond/etc sound on gr was just played on per's nord lead/electro (its audibly obvious/you can even see in behindghostreveries)

sincerely hoping they borrowed some real equipment to record with this time

That's kinda what I thought, but the way it was worded threw me off. Usually it's just "keyboards" or something. Guess they want to flaunt the almighty Mellotron as much as possible :p

Someone wrote "not a bad comment so far", but actually I'm curious about the reviews of Ghost Reveries before the record came out ; was it flawless too, or were some people disappointed in it ?

Someone wrote "not a bad comment so far", but actually I'm curious about the reviews of Ghost Reveries before the record came out ; was it flawless too, or were some people disappointed in it ?

That's what I was thinking...
Because when I first listened to Ghost Reveries, i thought it was superb, and while I still think it's an exellent album, it is one of Opeth worst, IMO

I was wondering the same thing. Well if you go back to the time around GR came out on this British guys blog. He mentions GR just being an excellent record or something along those lines. He doesnt give it nearly as much praise as Watershed.

IIRC the vast majority of people on here at least thought GR was amazing when it first came out, and still do.
The ones that didn't don't post here any more.

It's constant revolving door of fanboys to be honest. One comes in, one goes out who's become bored with it all.
And I can speak from long experience, since I was once a fanboy too. :loco: