Flatwounds for Bass???

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
Anyone tried using flatwound strings when recording bass? I've been debating about giving them a try but I'm a little reluctant to drop $30 on a set without knowing how they'll sound. I hear descriptions like "they're less bright" but does that mean muddy and undefined? Somehow, I would think not.

They seem to work for Steve Harris... :headbang: For those who have used them, what's your experience been?

Less bright is the probably the best description. On a fretless it has more of the mwaaaah sound to it. Less of the clank when driven or galloping, but otherwise its a good compromise. Much easier on the hands if you worry about that. If you hands are already hard it'll feel like silk.

I personally don't like them. They're MUCH less bright, indeed. I guess they work if you're going for a round, warm bass sound.

There's not brightness. At all. You couldn't get any shine out of them if your life depended on it.

I love them but, they're not good for metal. Not bright enough. Excellent if you're having problems with left hand finger squeaks.

Flatwound strings have that double bass (contrabass or ground bass, whatever you want to call it) type of sound without a bow. So think of a jazz band with a stand up bass player picking with his fingers. Thats the sound you will get from flatwounds. Very jazzy

Less bright is the probably the best description. On a fretless it has more of the mwaaaah sound to it. Less of the clank when driven or galloping, but otherwise its a good compromise. Much easier on the hands if you worry about that. If you hands are already hard it'll feel like silk.

Round wounds on a fretless have way more of that mwah sound.

Flatwounds to me sound like an upright. Somewhat dull, but fitting in certain situations. I wouldn't consider them for rock or metal.

Having played both for long periods of time, I'll tell you this:

Flatwounds, when new, will be more bright than dull. It doesn't last long, but the clank that Steve Harris gets out of his bass tone is from brand new flats hitting the frets. They're useful in certain situations, but not really that appropriate for rock and metal imo.

Dead roundwounds will sound equal to, or worse than, flats.

I recommend the Harris signature Rotosound set if you're going to get any flats. Between those and D'Addario Chromes, I far prefer the Rotos.

i love flatwounds on bass. i play with flatwounds and a pick. distorted. AKA the weirdest bass style ever. haha
i've always found that flatwounds have a more pronounced midrange that i really love on bass. i keep trying to go back to rounds cause it just seems like everybody else prefers them and there must be something im missing, but i never really get along with them.

i love flatwounds on bass. i play with flatwounds and a pick. distorted. AKA the weirdest bass style ever

I'm sorry, but I feel this guy just MAY have you trumped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Harris has used flatwounds for years, and has his own signature set made by Rotosound. Make of that what you will.

I like Iron Maiden but have never been particularly enamored with the sound he gets.
Make of that what you will ;)

It all depends on your style. I wouldn't really recommend them for death metal...but I am putting TI Jazz Flats on my new fretless 6 string today. I will let you know how it ends up sounding.