Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Fleshcrawl – Soulskinner
Metalblade January 15th 2002
By Russell Garwood

German five piece Fleshcrawl released “Soulskinner”, their fourth album, through Metalblade records on January 15th. The band plays a form of melodic death owing little to the Gothenburg sound - while melodic, their music is more brutal than most NWOSDM bands. The subject matter too, is more traditional death metal-orientated. Lyrics like “Forever and ever in pain/The legions of hatred are marching to reign/Dark forces and power are fighting till death”, while unoriginal, mark the band apart from many Swedish death groups.

Sven Gross’ vocals are more guttural than the average rasp, making for heavier music, and the melodic guitars of Mike and Stefan Hanus have numerous start-stop and less tuneful sections. The blasting, fast drums courtesy of Basti Herzog also make for a more extreme album, while Tobias Schick’s bass is less audible. The mixing on “Soulskinner” could be better, but the sound quality is good and the band’s production accomplished.

The ten tracks on this album include a cover of Judas Priest’s “Metal Gods”. Standouts include “Legions Of Hatred”, for it’s melodic form of aggression, and “The Forthcoming End”, which slows the pace down and allows grinding guitars to take the forefront. The highly Geiger-influenced artwork matches the music well, and while an interesting take on a rapidly aging sound, I feel Fleshcrawl need more variety to hold the listeners’ interest. This would be a good album for fans of melodic death looking for something heavier, and would also satisfy old-school brutal death fans.

I considered Fleshcrawl to be american (style) death metal.....brutal but not in the categorical sense. I certainly wouldn't say they were melodic death! They're death metal that is melodic at times, but that's not the same as melodic death. You cannot even begin to put Fleshcrawl into the same genre as At The Gates, In Flames, Soilwork or Arch Enemy, that just seems stupid to me. You'd do better comparing to Cannibal Corpse, Broken Hope etc etc.

lol, I consider them melodic death because they are the most melodic American death band I have heard, I too would not consider them the same genre as any of the bands you mentioned, hence "while melodic, their music is more brutal than most NWOSDM bands". But when listening compared to people like Insision, Hypokras, etc. etc. (I'm not a fan of brutal death ;-) ) I consider them melodic... so do the band and their label :)