9. Der Fuhrer
10. Flotzilla

Label: Metal Blade Records
Release date: 1986
Artist site:
http://www.flotsam-and-jetsam.com/
GRADE:
10/10

I can still remember to this day hearing this album for the first time. My buddy Mike, whom I've referred to at least once in another review, had the vinyl and he just couldn't really get into Eric AK's vocals. I completely embraced them and fell in love with FLOTSAM AND JETSAM ever since. Little did I know at the time that bassist Jason Newsted would join METALLICA in the very near future. But for a short while, this lineup represented the best of the thrash genre for me. These ten tracks were supercharged with youthful energy that was most comparable to METALLICA's Kill 'Em All or Ride The Lightning with a huge helping of IRON MAIDEN, especially in the bass department.

Produced by Brian Slagel and the band, Doomsday For The Deceiver to this day remains a classic, standing the test of time. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it's a milestone that FLOTSAM AND JETSAM have yet to truly match, despite many damn good attempts. I appreciate the entire catalog, but it is Doomsday... that I will consistently grab from the shelf for play. Even the low budget artwork just has this appeal that has stuck with me for all of these years.

"Hammerhead" starts like the traditional ending of a concert, before launching into undeniably Steve Harris inspired bass licks. The gallop of this track is MAIDEN on steroids, pure and simple. The quick leads that guitarists Michael Gilbert and Ed Carlson exchange bounce off of each other beautifully. Then comes Eric A.K. with his over the top vocals, hitting the stratosphere and then some. The lyrics are a bit silly, but the innocence just bleeds through. I've never considered Newsted to be any sort of great lyricist, but considering these were written in '86, and in 2003-04 James Hetfield is screaming "kill, kill, kill" and "it's my world, it's my world...," well, I guess I've made my point.

"Iron Tears" features Eric A.K. beginning with a set of screams and shrieks that were sorta his trademark during the first three records. He, like labelmate Ray Alder of FATES WARNING, definitely sang in the upper registers earlier on his career, only to tone it down a bit later on. There are some serious KING DIAMOND moments on "Desecrator," right down to the evil laugh after the first verse. The rhythm section of Newsted and drummer Kelly David-Smith (one of the most underrated drummers in the biz) really sticks out on "Fade To Black."

The title track will always be one of my favorite metal songs, there's no way around it. I remember back as a kid I always wanted to cover that song and it just never happened. The acoustic intro and solo by Gilbert is mesmerizing and the song as a whole stands up to any Hetfield/Ulrich epic, any Mustaine/Ellefson piece, you get the picture. Top notch songwriting and musicianship, now if I could only witness this one in its entirety live. When the rest of the band kicks into this powerhouse, the results are staggering. A story of doomsday, the listener is treated to something that is obviously old school inspired, but somehow still fresh after almost twenty years. One of A.K.'s best performances.

Just when you've made it through that nine minute song, they get you with the eight minute "Metalshock." It seems to follow the day after the apocalypse lyrically, with a beast called Metalshock. I like the touches of piano, it gives the song a haunting feel, kind of like a death march. Nothing tops Newsted's complete and total nod once again to all that is Harris for his bass leads. This is heavy metal, folks.

"She Took An Axe" refers to the infamous Lizzy Borden, the woman, not the band. What a fucking chorus and refrain! This should be included in Metal 101. A riff straight out of the school of Judas Priest. "U.L.S.W.", perhaps one of my favorite F & J songs, forges onward at a nice pace, and with another catchy hook and chorus.

"Der Fuhrer" is a great song, but one that has gotten me some looks in the past. The chorus' chant of "Zeig Heil!! All Heil!! Zeig Heil!!" wasn't always understood in its proper light, mostly due to ignorance on other people's part. The lyrics are obviously anti-semite, but it's hard to explain that to people who "can't understand what he's saying..." So, why bother? Crank the shit up!

Doomsday... ends with "Flotzilla," a monstrous instrumental, and yes, pun intended. Back in the day, I had only heard the vinyl and this track wasn't included, only on cassette. A few years later, I bought the tape and it was like re-discovering all over again, with new rewards. There are some really nice harmonies here and tight grooves.

This definitely goes out to fellow thrash heads, if you somehow missed out on this back in the day, go back and check it out. Think of it as a refresher course. If you are a fan, pull your copy out and give it a spin, take a trip down memory lane.

It feels good.

PJ