floyd rose pop up

paddok

Aug 7, 2002
deathfm.tk
eek got a problem. My floyd rose tremolo started to bend up now that i switched from relativly light gauge strings to pretty much super heavy .012 - .052 's.

Can this be easily fixed with adding 2 more springs in the back of the guitar ?

Or will it need further adjustment ?

all advice is greatly wanted !

I have to adjust my floyd rose all the time because i change the type of strings on my guitar regularly..........looks like you just need to get the screw driver out!! :)

12s strings? what tuning do you play in?
try pulling the springs stiffer, if it doesn't help, put aditional springs into the guitar or change your tuning or string-gauge...

my suggestion is not to put in more strings, because you cannot use your floyd rose as easily then and you cannot pitch the notes as far as you can do it with 3 springs.

I tried to use heavier gauge with my guitar and it didn't work, although I tried anything with the screws.

Originally posted by paddok
eek got a problem. My floyd rose tremolo started to bend up now that i switched from relativly light gauge strings to pretty much super heavy .012 - .052 's.

Can this be easily fixed with adding 2 more springs in the back of the guitar ?

Or will it need further adjustment ?

all advice is greatly wanted !

You MAY be able to just get away with adding an extra spring or two, but the floyd rose action will be MUCH stiffer... so unless you're looking for slightly better trem stability you might be able to get away with it.

For proper intonation, the trem baseplate needs to be level with the strings.

To fix the problem is easy though, but it does require some tinkering...

Take off the back plate covering the floyd route.

If your trem is sitting TOO high, then you will want to tighten the screws holding the spring clab into the back of the guitar... Do a half turn at a time to each screw, until your trem is REALATIVELY level... (adjusting the screws in the back will change your tuning, so go ahead and grab your tuner and retune).

Once you've got your guitar tuned to where you want it, check to see if the floyd is sitting level with the guitar body, and make minor adjustments to suit.

Any time you change tunings or string guages, you'll probably need to perform some adjustments to the trem and possibly the neck.

Hope that helps.

I have the same problem with my Warlock, but it doesn't have a Floyd Rose. It has the basic Fender Style Tremolo Bridge(Don't recall the correct name of the bridge.). I just changed my strings the other night to and 11-52 set after having the Zakk Wylde Boomers on it (11-70!). Now my bridge bends up pretty far. Can anyone help me out?