FLYLEAF's KRISTEN MAY 'Had A Feeling There Would Be Some Backlash' After She Joined B

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In the brand new issue of Revolver magazine FLYLEAF singer Kristen May was asked how she dealt with the torrent of abuse directed at her on the Internet by some of the band's fans when she was first announced as the new FLYLEAF vocalist. "I had a feeling there would be some backlash because I'm a different singer than [former FLYLEAF singer] Lacey [Sturm]," she said. "I don't scream — I'm more pop-oriented, more melodic. That's important to me in my songwriting. But what I realized is that it wasn't so much about me or what I was doing — it was that they connected so much with Lacey that it didn't matter who came in. The band could've hired Beyonce and people still wouldn't have been happy. So when I put myself in the shoes of someone who's been a fan of a band for eight years and then having someone else come in, I'm sure I would feel taken aback, too. Now, would I go on the Internet and be mean? I wouldn't, but that's just not my style. There were a couple of times when I responded to people, but nothing ugly. I didn't tell anyone they should also die. [Laughs]" Regarding whether being Christian was a prerequisite for joining FLYLEAF, Kristen said: "Maybe that was something in the back of their minds that was important to them, but they never asked me if I was a Christian. But yes, Lacey was Christian and all the guys, their faith is very important to them — and we all express our faith in different ways. I'm a Christian, but I've already gotten backlash from many FLYLEAF followers that I'm not Christian enough because I drink wine or do yoga and that's against God." FLYLEAF's fourth studio album, "Between The Stars", sold 8,200 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 33 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD was released on September 16 via Loud & Proud Records. "Between The Stars" was recorded over a four-week period at a Los Angeles studio with producer extraordinaire Don Gilmore (PEARL JAM, LINKIN PARK, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE).

More...