FMR AUDIO RNC 1773?

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
I have some pretty good vst-compressors on my computer but I was thinking about getting the FMR AUDIO RNC 1773. I allready have the FMR RNP 8380 which I love and I heard a lot of good stuff about this company.

Do you think a analog compressor would be an update or should I save money for a really good one or some more important stuff?

I have one and love it. I've used it as a parallel comp for drums, smashed some good bass sounds out of it, its very versatile for vocals (sometimes I use the "supernice" mode, sometimes not), and the supernice mode shines very well on the stereo buss. I'm not a hardware compressor buff, but the supernice mode can compress HEAVILY (like 8-12db of reduction) more transparently than any software compressor I've ever heard.

Definitely a good investment

Great, thanks! Maybe I'm too stupid to imagine but how would I use this with my interface (Edirol)? I know how I would set it up as a parallel comp but let's say I want to use it on a vocal track in Cubase 5. Would I re-record it through the comp?

I used one on vocals going in to PT. I really liked the results. I ran it after the mic pre, before the interface. Your situation will be different if you are using the pre's in the interface. I'll let someone else answer that part. I'd just be guessing:loco:

thanks for your short review! Running directly into the compressor after the mic pre would be something I'd like to avoid. I want to record a clean preamp signal that I will edit afterwards. Let's imagine I want to use it on a mix that was allready recorded. I want to compress the shit out of the vocals and maybe use it for parallel compression on the drums.

Something that also bothers me: I have 8 inserts on my interface (balanced trs 1/4", Edirol FA-101 http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=702). The manual says that the compressor has unbalanced ins/outs and I would have to unbalance my lines. Does that mean I would have to use 4 TS cables instead of 2 TRS cables because my interfaces ins/outs are balanced?

I'm a analog-noob. Sorry dudes :)

That could definitely be done. I think the only thing you have to worry about by using during mixing would be signal degradation due to DA/AD conversion. The more times you convert the more math is going on. I'm sure someone else on here can explain better. It might not even be a noticeable loss. I try to avoid conversion when possible. Once it's digital I leave it that way, but that's just my preference.

As far as the unbalanced lines go, my understanding is that the effects of going unbalanced is only noticeable over long cable runs. I used the shortest TS cables I could to be safe and it seemed good to me.

Ah fuuuu, that makes sense. So how do the pros use their analog gear in combination with digital interfaces? I would need a lot of compressors to record all the inputs at the same time ;)

I believe some use high end converters and do it the way you are describing. Like I said before, the loss might not be that bad, but I've always avoided taking the chance. I've only used the compressor on the way in for vox. For everything else I use software during mixing. Just try using the comp during mixing and see what it sounds like. Maybe even compare it to the same source processed with software and see what you think.

I'm betting the loss isn't noticeable, as I've probably read about that on gearslutz...

...in my defense I quit going there after finding this site.

given the converter is decent and the outboard gear you're using is good, you'll gain much more by using outboard than you loose because of the multiple conversions.

use good cables too.

I have some pretty good vst-compressors on my computer but I was thinking about getting the FMR AUDIO RNC 1773. I allready have the FMR RNP 8380 which I love and I heard a lot of good stuff about this company.

Do you think a analog compressor would be an update or should I save money for a really good one or some more important stuff?

FMR stuff, good sound, "poor" build quality.
hardware makes only sense if it's top-notch stuff IMHO.
surely, it's more fun working with hardware,
but i don't think that you'll get any improvement in sound.

so...save the money!:D

cheers
S.

which one?
there are two @ the bay right now, and i want to grab one of them ;) don't want to have 2 sneapsters outbid each other :)

Andy uses one on kick right??

i think i saw a video once where he was tracking drums and that one was in his desk compressing either the snare or the kick, i cant remember, ill se if i find the video.

but believe me man, its a REALLY NICE COMPRESSOR no crap