FMR Really Nice Levelling Amp?

Chainsaw Calligraphy

Connoisseur of Sound
Jul 2, 2010
Manchester, UK
Has anyone used one of these before? I've been looking to buy my first hardware compressor and it has come down to a choice between this and the Really Nice Compressor.

There seems to be a lot of love for the RNC on here but as far as I can tell it's very clean sounding. I like the idea of the RNLA colouring the sound a bit but it's been hard to find info on how suitable it is for metal.

I'm planning to use it for vox, bass and drum busses. Possibly acoustic guitars as well. So, do you guys think it would work well for this or should I stick with the RNC?

Haven't used that one but I use my RNC all the time. I think it sounds good on vocals, bass and I have used it on drum bus but not for metal. It doesn't dirty things up but you can hear it working alright when you're using it

I have a couple RNC's and they DO NOT work best with bass. The can distort the low frequencies in an unpleasant way (sometimes it works, but I just avoid sending tracks with lots of low end energy through them).

I've heard that the RNLA does much better in that regard. I really like my RNC's for... anything where transparent compression is desired (vox, overheads, clean/acoustic guitar, etc) but I'm a sucker for "colored" sounds. If I were you, I'd grab the RNLA

I have a RNLA and a pair of PBC-6a's. RNLA is really nice on stereo sources. The pbc's are awesome, my go to comp when tracking, so good I bought a 2nd one lol

I own both the RNC and the RNLA. The RNC is a lot more versatile but the RNLA is awesome at what it does (vocals, bass guitar and minor rounding edges on percussive sounds)