Focusrite ISA vs SCA C84?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Ok, so I've had a Focusrite ISA 428 MKI for quite a while now and I've always got along with it nicely. Recently, I picked up an SCA rack loaded with 6 A12b modules and I've been looking for a pair of N72s to fill the last two slots...

Well, I have an opportunity to get another SCA rack, plus 4 C84 pres in it for about as much, or maybe even less than, what I could sell my ISA 428 for. This seems pretty attractive, as I still have the ability to expand the rack further with 4 more preamps, or possibly some DI/Compressor modules...

Now, the Focusrite is transformer-based, and while it's a "clean" preamp, I also feel like it still beefs up the lows and low mids on most things. Sounds great on stuff like bass, kick drums, acoustic guitar and I love it with an SM7b on vocals... That being said, the SCA pres I currently have have pretty much takn over its duties for everything, except drum overheads.

I'd still like to keep some clean preamps around, and the C84 caught my attention. I've heard great things, but I'm hesitant because of them being transformerless. I know they're supposed to be some kind of Millennia clone, which get rave reviews... but I'm afraid I'm going to miss the depth of the ISA pres (not to mention the great DIs, HPF and variable impedance). Ideally, I'd go with the J99s... but they're about twice the price and I don't think I'll use the clean pres enough to justify that much.

What do you guys think? Worth the swap, or should I just keep my ISA pres for now?

I would personally stick with what you already know. Like you said, the ISA pres have some fortes that you love and you already have a connection to that unit. It may not be used for everything, but from what I can tell from your post, different pres wouldn't be either. I understand the excitement about new gear and one tends to think that new things will always be better. But in this case I'm not sure.

I would ask myself the honest question: what do i want the preamps in those slots to do? Does what I have already fulfill that purpose? From there on, make your judgement. You seem positive about your ISA pres, so it would be a true shame if you got rid of them in a rush and found out afterwards how much you loved them all that time. Good luck with the choice!

Good advice, but I just can't help but think 4 Millennia pres would kill the ISAs... I mean - They're over $750 a pre in the 4 channel unit and ISA is only $275. But the no transformer thing is throwing me off, as I've never really tried any high end transformerless pres, and I can't try the SCAs, or a Millennia first.

The ISA pres and an Audient ASP008 are the only pres I've had since I switched to my new setup, but I got rid of the Audient, it sounded okay, but I wasn't using the conversion and I figured I could do better at that price with a fully analogue pre (plus, I didn't need all 8 of them, anyway). Since I got my SCA rack, I really can't see myself using the ISA pres for much other than things like overheads, the occasional vocals, acoustic guitar and DIs. The SCA A12b modules simply sound better for everything else I'd need them for, and once I find a pair of N72s to fill the last two slots, I'm sure I'd end up picking the Neve channels for almost everything I use the ISAs for.

I'd be losing a lot of features swapping out the ISA pres. Ideally, I'd just keep them - Honestly, I probably could... but I don't know that I'd need 4 Millennia clones AND 4 ISA. I'm sure the ISA is more colored, but it's definitely going to be the cleanest of all the pres I have my eyes on. Biggest plus in my book is that I'm getting the rack with 4 empty spaces, which means I could fill it with some compressors or something and not have to buy a new rack. Biggest downside is that the C84 pres don't seem to be as sought after as the A12 and N72 modules, so if I don't end up liking or using them, it could take a while to sell/trade them. On the other hand - People seem to RAVE about Millennia stuff and most people seem to hate on the Focusrite ISA pres, which is really what's got me thinking that I might be missing out. Hmm....

Don't get me wrong; I love the SCA setup and plan on flushing ours out more (currently just N72 and 2xT15; eventually will be 2xN72, 2xA12b, 2xT15, 2xwhatever their compressor is called), but I don't think they're exactly on par with their competitors, so the advantage is the 'modular'-ish chassis. I prefer my CAPI 312's to the A12b and Vintech to the N72s; I'd imagine real Millennia to C84 would be the same.

Besides; what do you need 8 super clean pres on? OH and spot mics, sure, but even those rule through some color.

Don't get me wrong; I love the SCA setup and plan on flushing ours out more (currently just N72 and 2xT15; eventually will be 2xN72, 2xA12b, 2xT15, 2xwhatever their compressor is called), but I don't think they're exactly on par with their competitors, so the advantage is the 'modular'-ish chassis. I prefer my CAPI 312's to the A12b and Vintech to the N72s; I'd imagine real Millennia to C84 would be the same.

Besides; what do you need 8 super clean pres on? OH and spot mics, sure, but even those rule through some color.

Haven't tried the CAPI 312, but I've heard they're the best API clones around. FWIW, I had a 3124+ and the SCA A12s are significantly better IMO. Plus, I paid much less for 6 of them than the 3124+, so I'm happy with em :p I've tried Vintech and Great River and they're great, but also $700+ per channel than the SCA, so if the N72 is even half as good as people say it is, then I can't see myself ever buying one of the more expensive ones ;)

Definitely don't need 8 clean pres, that was my point, really. I think if I got the C84s, I'd probably end up having to choose one or the other, cause it doesn't really make sense to have the ISA, being more on the clean side, PLUS the C84. Realistically, I rarely track drums, so even using more than 1-2 channels at once isn't something I do all the time - Though I do hope to change that soon.