Thoughts about Focusrite ISA One?

Forceps

John - Spiralcove
Mar 21, 2009
Netherlands
Hey guys!

I'm investigating this preamp and I like the specs. Want to use it mainly for recording vocals.

My other preamps are Focusrite Green 2 and a JoeMeek VC6Q. ATM I use the Green for vocal recordings and the JoeMeek for bass guitar. My main vocal mike is a Rode NT1000.

Does anyone have experience with the ISA One? Or are there other preamps that I are great for vocals and are in the same price range?

Thanks in advance!

no experience with the ISA ONE, but i've used the old ISA 110 and 220, and can tell you that they're damned nice preamps...extremely clear and neutral sounding, if that's what you're going for.

I've only used an ISA 428, but I really didn't like it. We had a U87 running through it, and the end result was scratchy and sandpaperish - not something I was expecting out of that mic!

What's your budget, though?

Oh, and I forget one thing: I'm also looking for a better microphone, an AKG C414 or something like that.

Thanks for the replies allready, two different opinions so far.

Budget: the ISA one is about 450 euro's... that's what I want to spent on a preamp atm.

Wow, that's a nice offer... pitty I live in Europe, when it has to be shipped and insured and all....
My plans were to get a new preamp first, but thanks for the heads up!

Used ISA428's when I was at college. Clean and quiet, the switchable impedance is good for getting the best out of your dynamic mic's. I much prefer SM57's into a low impedance preamp.

I really like the ISA One, def one of my better buys;)

He's pretty clean and not really "coloured".

He sounds pretty much the same, equal if you drive him hot or not.
I use him also as "di Box", you can split the signal, one directly into the interface and one into a preamp for scratch sounds(for example).

For vocals it's not the best choice, imo, because of the lack of colour/ration.

But I like him:)

OK thanks everybody, I did some more research and I guess it's maybe better to go for a preamp that adds some character/ colouration to the sound? In that case, what would be a good choice? Maybe SPL Goldmike? Or something else?

I would search for a Preamp were you can adjust the amount of Tube saturation.
Gold mike is not soo good, imo.

The gainstation is pretty cool, but a little bit too expensive in your case.

I think its very useful to have the ability of saturation for vocal recording.
But keep your hands away from the UA Twin Finity;)

I don't know...I have no insider tip in this pricerange

Greetz