FOH Engineer headphones

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
Im looking for a new set of nice headphones with good isolation for mixing FOH or monitors - preferably something high-end, around 30dB or more of isolation..
Im currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD 212 Pros which arent particularly designed for that use at all, and whilst providing more isolation than some other cans, they obviously wouldnt compare at all to a professional pair.

Ive been searching around and have been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M - which looks to be pretty awesome, and with 35dB reduction, Ill definitely be finding it easier to hear whilst mixing.
Heres a link to the DT770s - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT770M/

If anyone has any recommendations, that would be awesome! Cheers!

Personally I've always used mdrv600's or mdr7506's. I've found them to be durable and good sounding phones if on the scooped side. Honestly unless you are doing some pretty high end mixing, I would be weary of taking a $300 pair of cans into a live situation.

i have the DT770 and imo they suck (for that price)
and i dont think the isolation is really 35db,
you can hear a cat farting through these.

i have the Peltor Optime III, but these are just for isolation, and these are really good isolating, i assume they guys on the aeroplane rollfield are using these too.

http://www.trenka.co.at/arbeitsschutz/peltor_kapselgehoerschutz/peltor_optime_iii

so i use them with akg inear headphones.. and it does the job.

though, the dt770 are more comfortable than the Peltor + Inear.
but when isolation is really important, i would not take the 770

and then the sound on the dt770 is bit too muffled for my taste, but if you know that, you can compensate

I strongly recommend you to try them out before you buy..and if you not like them to return them
i made a mistake, i bought them, havnt tried them for 2 months because i had no time, and then, when i needed them, i was dissapointed.. and there was no way then to return then

still, i have a good use for the Dt770, i give it to our singer while vocal tracking ;)

if anyone knows a good headphone with like +30db isolation, i would very appreciate that information

Yeah Id rather not have to do something like in-ears + earmuffs as I need to be constantly taking them on and off checking..
Thanks anyway !
Yeah, I imagine the 770s would be good for studio use also - may look into that even :p