Foo Fighters + Butch Vig = AMAZING. NEW SONG!

Charles J

New Metal Member
Oct 12, 2008
Florida
http://rope.foofighters.com/

Holy shit! Butch Vig Produced! Apparently recorded to tape, API Desk and all analog mastering... (?)

I think this sounds fucking FANTASTIC! It's SOOO god damn easy to listen to!

Makes me feel all warm inside. The SONG and the PRODUCTION are both equally stunning. YES

Who actually mixed this? Wasn't Dave Grohl and the band in his home studio on an API 1608?

But yeah, it sounds very very natural and smooth, I love it. The fact is, I can't really mix something like this even if I wanted to, it's just not in my nature but I do love listening to it!

Hated the verse (beat, riff and vocal melody). The chorus is catchy, but nothing special. I liked much better their last single, Wheels, although it sounded a bit too much country for my taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds great to me , of course its different from the latest stuff but its really refreshing hearing this band with this type of mix.
I still enjoy the first record , really raw sounding , great tunes to be found on that album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Ermz, could be a bit darker and thicker.
Fucking love that chorus though, and really cool to hear that Pat Smear played guitar on all the tracks and is officially back in the band

I guess because he worked with John Paul Jones from Led Zep (Them Crooked Vultures), that he gained a reverence for analog over digital. The "Rope" song i heard on the radio sounds "70's" influenced.

Great tune. Catchy as hell.

Sounds perfect to me. The mix fits perfectly FF sound. Sounds very balanced and natural... no overpolishing involved. 5/5

This sounds great to me , of course its different from they latest stuff but its really refreshing hearing this band with this type of mix.
I still enjoy the first record , really raw sounding , great tunes to be found on that album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1gyc9sGRs

Yeah, the first album is fucking awesome.
In particular, I remember listening to "Good Grief" like 10 times consecutively every day for a while when I was younger.
Scares me that Dave played all the instruments on the debut too. Fucking ridiculous musician, would kill to have 1/4 of his talent.

it was on the radio yesterday when i returned from a session,
and i was like : wow, they are playing newcomers now on the radio! nice. this band has to be from
hamburg, never heard of them before...

then i realized it was dave grohl, and it came to my mind that they recorded this stuff
all analog... that was the moment i knew analog is not always better than digital. ;-) its what you make out of itt.
this is cool as it is, but totally not what i love about sound....

edit : though these guitars sound great on laptop speakers i have to admit.

lol. you guys, as I said before, I think it's very, very HI-FI sounding and that makes it almost foreign to listen to and not what we're used to hearing when we think of what 'analog' sounds like.

this stuff is CLEAN, but it is also EXTREMELY euphonic. I challenge you to make a record as clean and bright as this ITB and still have it be listenable. and not only listenable, but PLEASING from start to finish.

or maybe I'm too stuck on the fact that Butch did it and I LOVE his work to death, not sure. =D

lol. you guys, as I said before, I think it's very, very HI-FI sounding and that makes it almost foreign to listen to and not what we're used to hearing when we think of what 'analog' sounds like.

this stuff is CLEAN, but it is also EXTREMELY euphonic. I challenge you to make a record as clean and bright as this ITB and still have it be listenable. and not only listenable, but PLEASING from start to finish.

or maybe I'm too stuck on the fact that Butch did it and I LOVE his work to death, not sure. =D

That's wild that you hear that as clean and euphonic. I hear it almost completely the opposite - distorted to buggery and kinda nasty.

Perception is a funny (and complex) thing. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle hey...