Foo Fighters + Butch Vig = AMAZING. NEW SONG!

I think the truth is that nobody other than engineers will care in the slightest.

Having said that, I'm in line with fitz on this one. If I were shooting for a mix like this, I'd be more inclined to stay ITB. This doesn't showcase what I consider to be the desirable qualities of analogue. The guitars in particular are quite nasty sounding.

If I hear an all-analogue mix, I want to hear it with 'the blanket™'. It has to be mushy, somewhat rounded off, and very thick/dense sounding. This record sounds like none of those things to me.

The thing is, this is definitely not the kind of production that people are used to here. BUT if you saw that video where Grohl shows his house and his homestudio, he said that they wanted the album to sound really "garage-y" and with a very natural vibe. He said they took the songs to a studio but it was starting to sound way too polished so they took it back and mixed it in his homestudio in his lovely API 1608 and outboard shit. I think this is definitely a GOOD sounding album (so far from whats on youtube), it's just a completely different take on how music is perceived nowadays. If someone here posted this mix on RMM he would be bashed till no end because the snare is not a MASSIVE BIG SNARE and kick is not punching you in the throat etcetc... Different strokes I guess

Without having listened to the song/mix: what people forget these days is that none of the old records actually sound "fat" or "massive" or "thick" in comparison to the new stuff. Only when played at relative volumes or out of comparison/context will an old "analog" album be on par with anything new.

Of course: after the disappointment of playing an old record after a new one is over, ANYONE will prefer a recording from the 70s/80s due to its punch/dynamics/non-fatiguing nature - but on first listen or comparison the old stuff ALL sounds jangly, thin and wimpy.

Us producer-types have just become accustomed to some old engineers on Gearslutz raving about "this beautiful snare sound I got with just a sm57 thru an 1176 into a Neve board" that we forget that at first glance the old way of making records just sounds ... old. At least these days.

Glad to see some others that like this work. I have been listening to it for a while now and love Arlandria and Dear Rosemary, or whatever it's called. I read an article about this album, the idea for using analog wasn't all about the "analog warmth" it was more about the work flow. Dave wanted real takes, not a ton of edits and comping. He said he didn't want to sit and stare at a computer. It was also tracked in his untreated garage with the gear mentioned earlier. I think it sounds great.

Smy1: I think the problem is they weren't talking about Wham when making those statements :) I kid, but I think some of that old stuff holds up really well today. To each their own...I'm going to go listen to my wimpy Darkside of the Moon album.

Really hearing the untreated garage vibe with the drums. Reminds me of jamming in my parents' garage in high school, seriously. Great song and very cool vibe to the production.

couldn't agree more about what he said about robbing the drummers identity.
unfortunately nowadays too many of them that don't even have (a musical) one, decide they're ready for a recording.

The Foo Fighters documentary/movie that came out a while back really showed you the ins and outs of their workflow. Very informative and quite cool when Krist Novaselic tracked bass for a song too!