FOOD!!

Bartman

Chinese fighter pilot
Jun 22, 2004
Ranch on Mars
So here's the scenario:

I has just done a spin class a the gym, gone home and taken a shower, and was seriously starving. So, I went to my "food heaven". More specifically, I went to this local taqueria and got what has to be one of my favorite meals.

Picture this: two small corn tortillas piled high with sopping wet carnitas, topped with chopped onions, tomatoes, and cilantro. Add to that some killer tortilla chips (salted of course), some of that guacamole salsa stuff, and an ice cold beverage.:kickass::kickass:

Fo shizzle.

So, what's your "food heaven"?

~B

I wish it was not, but: PIZZA!!!!

Thick crust, pepperoni, olive, mushroom and jalapeno! :kickass:

My second favorite is Murillo's in Vacaville. Chicken burrito and chicken enchilada with rice and beans. And, a Negra Modelo, of course.

Damn! That sounds good right now!

SS

I don't sound like a southerner, and I really try not to admit my upbringing (also reflected in my culinary choices), but I am a total sucker for barbecue. Not grilled meats, but barbecue. Smoked and dry-rubbed barbecue pork shoulders--Boston butts if you will. Now, I've been to the west coast and tried their versions of barbecue. That's not barbecue. Not even close. The only way you can get good Q is east of the Mississippi, and even then some of those are hit or miss. Your best bets are run-down shacks run by a big fat dude in overalls. There's also shrimp 'n' grits. And polenta...Michoacan-style enchiladas...IPAs...hot risotto on a cold day...golden kiwis. Holy crap can I eat some gold kiwi! I don't because those little buggers are expensive, but I could eat at least 6 a day if I had the choice. Wild sockeye--smoked, grilled, broiled, poached--raw. You name it. I love me some Alaskan salmon. And let's not forget about Cadburry cream eggs and egg nog.

Now, I've been to the west coast and tried their versions of barbecue. That's not barbecue. Not even close.

That's because we don't BBQ out here on the left coast, we GRILL. Huge difference, as you well know. But it would make sense that in the midwest and the south would have way better BBQ as a greater percentage of the population cooks that way. It's tradition back there, like the Packers and cheese curd or something. The small pockets of the west coast population that can and do great BBQ are just harder to find.

That being said, I'll stack up a properly grilled (see: medium rare) Santa Maria style tri-tip any day to your BBQ, and I won't die from a coronary surprise doing it.:p

In reality, I love both.:kickass:

~B

There are 3 foods I crave constantly...

1. Charbroiled Double Cheeseburgers. Best one is from Rick's In n Out in Whittier California. Fresh bun, juicy charbroiled burgers, lots of cheese and the secret sauce to slay all. And of course all of the produce, onions, tomato, pickles.... Closest thing to this in NoCal is Mojo Burgers (2 locations in San Jose)... No magic sauce though...
Honorable mention to Bob's Giant Burgers in Fremont and Val's in Hayward. Bob's fries the burgers but their sauce is amazing and the burgers are huge and they double the cheese..plus their tomatos and onions are THICK. Val's is like a huge backyard barbeque style burger, really thick 1/2 pound patty's, the Papa Burger is a full pound(must be tried at least once if you don't want to put your balls in your purse), condiments served at the table, build your own.

2. SoCal style Pastrami Sandwiches... Not so lean pastrami piled at least 2 inches thick on a dipped roll with mustard and pickles... There is no sandwich like it up here. New York style is good... lean pastrami, super thick on Rye. Moishe's in San Francisco has those. I'm huge fan of Cheese Steak Sandwiches too. Trip to South Phili anybody?

3. Then it's mexican food of all kinds.... Big ass Carne Asada Burrito's, Carnitas or Cabeza Street Taco's, Cheese Enchiladas!! Quite few great places in San Jose...OK I need to eat now...

That's because we don't BBQ out here on the left coast, we GRILL. Huge difference, as you well know. But it would make sense that in the midwest and the south would have way better BBQ as a greater percentage of the population cooks that way. It's tradition back there, like the Packers and cheese curd or something. The small pockets of the west coast population that can and do great BBQ are just harder to find.

That being said, I'll stack up a properly grilled (see: medium rare) Santa Maria style tri-tip any day to your BBQ, and I won't die from a coronary surprise doing it.:p

In reality, I love both.:kickass:

~B

Real BBQ should only be the meat anyway since the fat and bones fall away from the muscle. Just sayin'...

I'm also a sucker for sweet potatoes and winter squashes. Did I already mention risotto? Even if I did, it deserves another mention.