For those wanting to play Bloodbath songs.....

yourdeadgroom

Black Stone Wielder
May 21, 2001
New Zealand
www.onlinerock.com
but who don't want to tune all the way down to B (which includes me):

go here: http://www.ronimusic.com/
Download the 'Amazing Slow Downer'. It's an excelent program that lets you slow down and/or change the pitch on a recording, without affecting the other aspect (ie you can slow down with altering pitch, and vice-versa). Then convert the songs to a pitch you want. I have raised the whole of RTC to C# (which is what I tune to), and the sound quality is fine, the vocals, which are usually the first thing to start sounding shit when you screw around with pitch, are still very good. You can save the altered files, so it's just a matter of burning them to cd.
There is one issue with this approach, the program is sharware (it costs $30, which is not bad, I'm really impressed with this program), and it has limitations on it- it will only work on the first 2 tracks of a cd, or on the first quarter of an mp3/wav file. This is easily worked around though (I do this because I am currently poor, I'll definately be buying this once I can afford it)
Method 1:
Take your RTC cd (or any cd, I've done this to a couple of albums so I don't have to retune, but I'll use RTC for this example), and process the the first 2 tracks as normal. Now rip the other 8 tracks, and burn 4 CDs, each with 2 tracks on them (disk one will have tracks 3 & 4, etc). Now all the songs can be processed, because they have been moved to the first 2 tracks of a CD :D
Method 2:
Rip all tracks to your hd as wav files. Seeing as the program only works on the first quarter of a file, get out your wav editor. For each file, add some silence to the end (or paste in 3 copies of the song), so that the file is 4 times longer than you need it (so, if the song is 4 minutes long, add 12 minutes silence). Now when you process the file with the pitch shifter, it will work on the first quarter of the file, which now contains the whole song :D

If you find the speed of RTC to be a bit fast while you're learning it, you can get away with slowing it by up to a quarter before it starts sounding kinda crap. I have one copy of Bolt Thrower's "Realm of Chaos" raised to C# (from A) at normal speed, and another copy raised to C# and at 3/4 speed just to learn the songs (they are really fast!). Also handy for transcriptions, but personally I'd advise against using it unless there is a really fast part you can't figure out, I find slowing things down makes me lazy.

Oh, and if you do this, make sure the 'slowdown type' is set to 3 (it's a little drop-down list at the bottom, it defaults to 1, which sounds like shit)

I haven't tried raising RTC to E or anything, but for those that really want to play the songs, but really don't want to retune, it may be worth a try