For those who are following such things: Latest Game of Thrones previews

I was kinda hoping that the new series (and his presence/involvement on the set) might fire G.R.R.M. up enough to pick back up with the series.....looks like maybe it did. Or helped. Or maybe it was the money talking. :)

Or he just had inspiration and figured things out. That's my guess. The show might have helped him to see things in a different way, but I think its just that he realized where he wanted things to go. If I recall correctly, he did not plot out this story from the beginning. It actually started off as a sci-fi story.

My only question for him is that I thought that this book at one point was basically written as it was just the second half of Cows, separated from it due to length. But maybe he had a lot more to write, or he decided that he didn't like what he had written.

Exactly...I'm not going to dig through the bowels of the net to find the correct information (who would do that?)...but here is my understanding and recollection of the situation:

1) Before Crows came out, GRRM said that the "next" book was so huge and there was so much story that he basically divided it into two parts. Half of the relevant characters and their situations would be presented in Crows, and the other half of the cast would be presented in Dragons, and the two books would basically cover the same timeline. So, at that point, Crows would be released as the next book, and Dragons was, supposedly, mostly complete and ready to go.

2) Then the delays came...still working on Dragons...then...Dragons not written...then...a long period of random limbo and vague updates.

3) Even as recent as one of the trailers at the top of this thread, GRRM says that it's all in his head...which would indicate that Dragons hasn't even been committed to paper. WTF? That's doubtful, especially with the recently announced publishing date that's only 4 months away. I'm going to assume he was referring to the NEXT book...that's the one percolating in his head...which will probably remain there for a while...sigh...

So, yes, you're right...Crows and Dragons are (were) supposed to be the same story that just got too massive to publish at one time.

GRRM is such a putz. Granted, I remind myself that GRRM is not my bitch. He's welcome to complete this story at his leisure...or not at all. That doesn't bother me too badly. What sucks is his constant misleading of his fans. That fame...it's a bitch, huh?

3) Even as recent as one of the trailers at the top of this thread, GRRM says that it's all in his head...which would indicate that Dragons hasn't even been committed to paper.

What he's saying is that he's got the overarching plot of the entire STORY in his head. Most of ADOD has been written, but he got tangled up in a plot complication (which someone pointed out earlier with the bit about originally deciding to set ADOD five years later and then changing his mind, which then created a problem), although it appears he's finally solved it to the point where he can comfortably finish writing the rest of it. In the process of ADOD, he's written some stuff that will actually end up in the next book, due to juggling an assortment of events, because at this point a lot of things are happening concurrently.

Cool...good info...thanks!

Just funny to hear him say something like that, especially after all of his previous wishy-washy-ness. Hell...I'VE got a book in my head, too...doesn't make me a writer...ha!

I have added HBO. The lady on the phone even mentioned the new show almost in passing at the end of the convo ("I just started reading the books"), and I said "Uh, actually, ma'am, that's WHY I'm adding HBO." :kickass:

*shameless plug

I can't wait to see the HBO series. Bryan, our old vocalist wrote the entire lyrics to our first album to the first book. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through it right now! Hopefully we can plug some new stories in with the next record too. Definitally some epic stuff. Beer, turkey legs, and HBO wi be glorious.

For those who haven't read the books (and thus are unfamiliar with the massive cast of characters), HBO has produced 12 individual character featurettes, which span 2-3 minutes each, as well as featurettes on Houses Stark, Targaryen, Lannister, and Baratheon. They can be found on HBO's Game of Thrones website, or on YouTube. There are some very mild spoilers referring to events in the first few episodes, but nothing that ruins any of the "surprises" in the story. Tell your friends about these.

fbf89244_hell-frozen-over.jpg

Hmmm.... July 12th...... and it seems little bit chillier than usual...... :D

272230_2171220247414_1453993750_2478592_4943955_o.jpg