For vocals: SM58 vs SM58+PopFilter vs SM57+PopFilter

whitedamp

Aug 28, 2006
Brazil
When using a Shure SM58 is it better to use a pop filter too or that windscreen ball of it is enough?

Also, what would be your choice for tracking vocals:
a) SM58
b) SM58 + pop filter
c) SM57 + pop filter

The newest BTBAM was done with 58 and a pop filter for the screams.
LoG's Sacrament and Unearth's III were both done with a raw 58.

I think the BTBAM sounds the best, but he could just have a voice more suited for a 58 than the other two.

Well, it seens that both choices are "pro options" them, thanks for the reply. I will check the albums that you´ve said. : )

The newest BTBAM was done with 58 and a pop filter for the screams.
LoG's Sacrament and Unearth's III were both done with a raw 58.

I think the BTBAM sounds the best, but he could just have a voice more suited for a 58 than the other two.

There was also a SM7b used on Sacrament.

Well, it seens that both choices are "pro options" them, thanks for the reply. I will check the albums that you´ve said. : )

Pay no attention to the word "Pro". Its just a subjective word. Best bet is to try the mics out for yourself. Every voice is going to act diffrent in every situation.

Yeah, the term "pro" is cheesy but I wanted to use in a way that meant "have been done in the past and worked very well" or something : P

Yeah, the term "pro" is cheesy but I wanted to use in a way that meant "have been done in the past and worked very well" or something : P

Yeah I know what ya mean....but rest assure that both mics have been used on tons of records.

58 has definitely been used plenty o' times. The 57 is a tiny bit more directional though, and a screen on that wouldn't hurt it a bunch, 58 has a bit more high end.

If it were up to me, I'd go with the 57, that way...you have an extra 57 lying around and it's a bit better in a small room with a lot of relections due to it's directionality.

Its funny because I recorded some vocals a while back with a proper studio shockmouted vocal mic and it was an average recording, then recently I did a vocal recording with a 58 hand held and it sounds miles better! Ill try my 57 next time, since I have a problem with my room reflections.

I do have both mics (two 57 and one 58) and a pop filter. I´ve been told that many people preffer a 57 with the pop filter rather than the 58, and I was very curious to know if people do use 58 with a pop filter, as it already have that windscreen ball. I guess I will track vocals with 58 + pop filter.

If you have them both then try them both. There is no way for us tell because we can't hear the voice that is being recorded.

The people at my local music store say you "have" to have a condensor mic to record vocals? I never even thought to record vocals with a 57...

Condensers, by nature, have a faster and more detailed response, so they're good for subtleties in singing vox, but they can also be rather bright, and the slightly dulled sound of a dynamic can actually sound better for aggresive vox (and even cleans)

+1 to Metaltastic because a lot of people use the 57/58 to cover up mistakes and that's not saying a bad thing. We have reasons in this world for industry standards. If I'm not mistaken, SexPistols used a 58...goodbye EMI.