Shure SM57 or SM58?

smashcla

Jan 15, 2010
I've been recording sessions with my condenser microphone but now i want to try different so i would like to try with a dynamic mic but im not sure between sm57 or sm58.

I know both are very good but i want to know which one work better for screaming and sweet clean vocals.

The two mics are almost identical except for the grille assembly - The 57 tends to be easier to resell if you don't like it (people tend not to envision someone's spit all over it, ha ha).

If you're only doing vocals, go for the 58, otherwise I'd grab the 57.

SM58Tad-1.jpg

58. 57 only really works on a stand with a pop filter, and only on vocalists who have a problem with overpowering lows/low mids in their voice. imho.

tbh i'll take a condenser over an sm58 any day of the week as far as sound quality goes, but then it's about getting the vocalist to perform with a passion, and some people can only do that with a handheld mic. sm7b would be the obvious choice for that, but sm58 usually works just fine. sort of a "gets the job done" mic.

and to be even more honest, i don't think the 57 and 58 sound that much alike, even with the sm58 pop filter unscrewed. much more low midrange in the sm58.