Framing Fucking Armageddon!

BurntOfferings666

God Of All Things Metal
So, my guess is that most of the people at least here on the Pyramaze boards are also Iced Earth fans. So I was just wondering what everyones impressions are of Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1, either as a whole, or a song by song breakdown.

Here is my track by track break down of Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1.

icedearthframingfw8.jpg

1. Overture - this opening instrumental as short as it is has a quite epic and ominous feel to it. Comprised of mostly cellos (alla Apocalyptica) and different percussion instruments, it was a good way to open the album, and leaves you wondering whats to come, when all of the sudden

2. Something Wicked Part 1 - BAM!!!! Your first kick in the balls on this album, and it feels great. In traditional Jon Schaffer style, he recycles some old riffs, but this time it makes sense, drawing on riffs from the Something Wicked Trilogy, to tie Framing Armageddon into the Something Wicked storyline. Ripper is outstanding on this track, and doesn't overuse his ear piercing screams, as he has a tendency of doing. The chorus on this one is extremely catchy, and Owens does a good job of bringing across the emotional upheaval that is taking place in the story. This was my first favorite song off Framing Armageddon, and for me, one of the classic IE epics, although the track is only just over 5 minutes long.

3. Invasion - Star Wars like sound fx depicting the invasion of Earth by the Setians

4. Motivation of Man - This one starts out with a voice, a leader of humanity or something, rallying the civilization, and the breaks into some nice heavy melodic song, with Ripper singing fairly mid-toned about the Setians coming to invade earth and advance earth's civilizations.

5. Setian Massacre - Balls out, one of the best tracks on the disc, Setian Massacre busts right out much like Jack did. Extremely catchy chorus, and the thing that stood out for me is the guitar solos. They are the best solos, I have ever head Jon Schaffer write, once again showing that he continues to evolve as a music writer. This songs makes reference to the 10000 hiding, which will come into play later on track 8.

6. A Charge to Keep - Amazing, Gothenburg-esque sound, depth and riffage, I LOVE this song. Tim really shines on this one, and I think this song for Tim, really showcases that when the music is written to fit his vocals, that he is an excellent vocalist for Iced Earth. The Glorious Burden, released in 2004, was originally written for Matt Barlow's vocal style, and when Tim had to re-record the vocals, he had to change his style to try and match Matt's and the music. With this being the first full length album written specifically for Tim's vocal stylings, I believe that Jon Schaffer has indeed found the perfect successor to Matt Barlow, and that Jon and Tim will have a great future together in Iced Earth if this album is any indication. Only time will tell. A Charge to Keep is very very much a crowd anthem, much like Melancholy (Holy Martyr), and a song Im sure will never leave the IE setlist.

7. Reflections - the first ballad on the album, with musical contributions by ex-Winters Bane and current Beyond Fear bassist, Dennis Hayes. Its another short but sweet song that leads us to the most violent song on the album. Unfortunately this was the only track to be recorded with guitarist Tim Mills, who in my opinion is the best guitarist Iced Earth has ever had, outside of Jon Schaffer. His lead and solo work on the Overture of the Wicked EP, showcased his talent in blinding colors, nailing out solos that were highly reminescent of Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrell and Eddie Van Halen. I will miss Tim Mills alot, and wish that he had gotten a chance to do the leads on the whole F.A. album.

8. Ten Thousand Strong - the first time I head Ten Thousand Song, the first thing that went through my mind was how much it sounded (musically) like a leftover track from The Glorious Burden (which in my opinion was the bands worst album, save Gettysburg (1863). However, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. Its antheming chorus will be a crowd pleaser and have the mosh pits going nuts, but my favorite part of the song is the outro, with the band singing the chorus repeated in harmony in the background as Ripper reiderates the chorus overtop. This one is sure to be in the IE setlist for years to come

*Note - WTF was with the video they made for this???? And Declaration Day for that matter. Looks like a 12 year old made them. For someone like Jon Schaffer, I'm quite surprised that he took this route with this video.

9. Execution - starts slow and ballady until 1:07 when this instrument builds momentum in the the pumping and hard hitting

10. Order of the Rose - I really dig Order of the Rose. Its very catchy, yet, heavy as it chugs along with some serious bass going on. At this point I'd normally be getting tired of the harmonizing vocals, but man, they really work, especially on this song and When Stars Collide (Born is He) later on the album

11. Cataclysm - another Star Wars sound fx fest (at least this one has some music, but its recycled riffs from the Something Wicked trilogy). For everyone who has complained about Schaffer reusing riffs and such, I agree with you on the point that he's worn out these special effect sounds. They worked for Gettysburg for obvious reasons, but give it a rest Jon. If I wanted to listen to Star Wars sound fx, I'd watch Star Wars. We get it. You like Star Wars!

12. The Clouding - The epic of Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1, this one clocks in around 9.5 minutes. Starting slowly with some electric acoustics and what sounds like a lot of wammy bar on the lead guitars, or some heavy distortion, The Clouding takes you on a journey from the human mind's being erased and not remembering their past, while the Setians prepare to infiltrate and assimilate human culture. This one really reminds me of Tims rendition of Diamonds and Rust he did on the Priest album, Live in London. The subtle guitar solos in the background are quite a surprise. At the 5:30 mark the tempo picks up and Ripper starts singing from the Setian perspective, spewing forth lyrics with a venom like intensity, changing to his normal voice for the ever changing chorus. At 7:46 the riffs are changed up, and remind me heavily of Black Label Society. Another plus for this album.

13. Infiltrate and Assimilate - The Setians begin to infiltrate humanity's superstructure and start to assimilate human culture. Ripper starts this one off, much like he ended The Clouding off - spewing forth raspy venom like vocals, portraying the Setians, interchanging with fully harmonized band/choir chorus'. A decent song, but far from the best on the album.

14. Retribution Through the Ages - starts off very Blind Guardian-ish, and switches into fully palm muted 32nd note triplets, courtesy of the Iron Maiden loving, Jon Schaffer, this is the closest Jon comes to Operatic Metal, and I must say, its pretty damned good. Tim gets to hit some of the high notes, but restrains to using the high end of his mid-tone. Troy Seele shines on this one, matching Schaffers galloping triplets and hammering out some good lead guitar work, but his best is still to come.

15. Something Wicked Part 2 - more instrumental world music stuff. Totally forgettable.

16. The Domino Decree - taken from the Something Wicked Trilogy song Prophecy ("Assassins we will be, through human history; Jesus Christ to Kennedy the Domino Decree; Disciples of the Watch, prepare the coming curse, if it takes 10000 years, we never will retreat" - note also the mention of "10000"). Tim hits some of his long sustained screams, and proceeds to sing as the Setians in the raspy venom voice we've come to associate with the Setians. Ripper also shares a music writing credit on this track with Schaffer, and all lyrics by Schaffer. Ties into Order of the Rose and Prophecy, The Domino Decree is about Mankind's fate by Setian rule, causing man to fall like dominos, molding and shaping the future of man. Very epic quality to it, and Tim's high pitched scream shred through the choired vocals of the chorus outro, like a hot sword through flesh.

17. Framing Armageddon - the new "Violate", this is guaranteed to send the mosh pits into a frenzy and fans of Ripper's high pitched, glass breaking scream will be admitted to the hospital with bleeding ears and whiplashed necks. Centuries have passed since the Setians invaded and the time of Armageddon, Birth of the Wicked is at hand. Man brings about their own fate with their shallow views, intolerance, insolence, lies, arrogance, the Setians plant the seeds of different world religions to cause Man to turn on each other, and eventually bring around the birth of the wicked when man learns whats truly at stake. Fierce and vicious chorus/outro, will leave you in a neck brace for weeks to come, and possibly in jail for killing others in the pit.

18. When Stars Collide (Born Is He) - I lied. This is the closest to Operatic metal that Jon Schaffer comes, with the whole song sung in harmonized unison by the entire band and choir. When Stars Collide, makes reference to Birth of the Wicked ("...forged in flames, sacred fire; Born of eastern sands of guile") and to The Clouding, and to The Prophecy's 10000 years (ten millennia). This is one of my favorites, and chugs along, a welcomed sight after the brutal onslaught of the end of the song Framing Armageddon. When Stars Collide ends the lyrical content of the album, on the note of "born is he, ten millennia, after the clouding of man, sincerest veneration, for he that vindicates the end of man", leaving the listener begging to hear what has been said to be one of the heaviest IE albums.

19. The Awakening - More orchestral music, instrumental, with some nonsensical vocals overlaid & similar to Damien in its dark, ominous and foreboding tone, The Awakening sets up the darkness thats about to encompass mankind when Armageddon falls upon mankind. The end is near.

This is what an source in the IE camp has said about Revelation Abomination: Something Wicked Part 2:

"Overall heavier, yes. The epic feel will continue, but the overall vibe will shift further towards the darkness and sinister that comes with the actual process of Armageddon. Part I sets mankind up for Armageddon, Part II continues the division of mankind and tells the story of Set Abominae who's destiny is to bring ultimate closure to the faltering human race. Jon keeps things pretty close to his vest regarding the story and likes to keep me and everyone else guessing, but from what I understand Set Abominae isn't born just a big monster to bring Armageddon (although he instilled with that potential from the day of his birth).

Much of Part II will be written from Set's point-of-view. Vaguely similar to Damien in the movie, "The Omen", there is a struggle within Set Abominae to accept his destiny and the carnage he must bring to his planet, perhaps his own race, and of course, the race of men. Jon has stated that this struggle will be told with some emotionally intense songs. How that all will happen and exactly sound, we'll all just have to wait and find out.

So, in summary, the as the story evolves, the music will evolve to tell the story. Part II isn't just a re-hash of Part I. It picks up with a huge instrumental/choir intro similar to where Part I's instrumental outro left out. Work is underway to assemble a choir of about 40 individuals for portions of Part II (including that intro, I believe - I've heard it over the phone and it's chilling and even more epic-sounding than anything on Part I). Of course, that intro has to be ball-out as it signifies Set Abominae's birth and thus, the beginning of his physical presence on Earth. "

Overall, I feel that this is the best album since Something Wicked This Way Comes, which was released 10 years ago, that Iced Earth has done. My rating on a scale of 1-10 is a solid 8.75/10. If you haven't bought Framing Armageddon yet, get out and pick it up. The packaging is wicked as always, and for any IE fan, long term or new, this is a must have for your collection.

On a related topic, here are the current positions and charts that Framing Armageddon is showing up on:

Austria: #36
Canada: #95
France: #77
Germany: #19
Holland: #60
Norway: #59
Sweden: #28
Switzerland: #56
UK: #6 (Rock Album chart)
USA (The Billboard 200): #78
USA (Top Independent Albums): #9

So what are your thoughts?

Well, I'm more bothered by the horrible costumes on the humans, the oh so 80's cell shading effect of the band performing. George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead from 1974 had better effects. I would have gone fully animated, maybe get McFarlane Entertainment to do it (see: Pearl Jam's Do the Evolution Video, Korn's Freak on a Leash video, Disturbed's Land of Confusion vid) They easily could have gotten a deal with McFarlane to do the vid, as IE were originally suppose to do the soundtrack for Todd McFarlane's Spawn movie back in 1997, right after The Dark Saga was released, also feature McFarlane's artwork.

Trivia - Depths of Hell from The Dark Saga was written by McFarlane employee Al Simmons, who the character of Spawn was originally based on.

And for the video for Declaration Day - what the fuck does a biker driving around the city getting hammered at the bar, and seeing eyes moving and Jon and Tim singing projected on the sides of buildings as the biker drives past them have to do with the signing of the declaration of independence????

Honestly a 1st year film and animation student could have made better vids. Better yet, why not make a video for A Charge to Keep using the footage from Wacken (like the video for Melancholy) and not make a vid for 10000 Strong?

I respect the fans of IE & the band itself!

Though,i'm not as big of an IE fan as some on board here.Giving that, what i have become to know of them is only because Matts great history w/ IE & now his status w/ the PYRABOYS.

Honestly...IE seems to have great talent but has never truly expanded on it.I think Ripper is a great singer...yet his place as a singer unfairly seems to questioned or is up in the air ,how is this?

Thier sound seems to remain the same throughout each recording,not that its bad...just expand & try something else?I know IE fans no want to kill me now & thats o.k.,i'm just being honest.

I am glad that IE has influenced many bands- especially PYRAMAZE,now that Matt has landed w/ this amazing band, i can only expect this collaboration to be great!

I wish the best for both bands going forward!

CHEERS!

Haha, I was just waiting for someone to make a thread for this, took you a while to write that post BurntOfferings, eh =D? Great song-by-song post btw! \,,/

Well anyway, I haven't heard the album yet ( :( ) but what I've heard from the forums at Metalreviews, it really is one hell of a "comeback" as some people say. So looking forward to hear this, only one I've heard is Setian Massacre (and of course Ten Thousand Strong) from myspace and it surely kicks ass!

Well, I'm more bothered by the horrible costumes on the humans, the oh so 80's cell shading effect of the band performing. George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead from 1974 had better effects. I would have gone fully animated, maybe get McFarlane Entertainment to do it (see: Pearl Jam's Do the Evolution Video, Korn's Freak on a Leash video, Disturbed's Land of Confusion vid) They easily could have gotten a deal with McFarlane to do the vid, as IE were originally suppose to do the soundtrack for Todd McFarlane's Spawn movie back in 1997, right after The Dark Saga was released, also feature McFarlane's artwork.

Trivia - Depths of Hell from The Dark Saga was written by McFarlane employee Al Simmons, who the character of Spawn was originally based on.

And for the video for Declaration Day - what the fuck does a biker driving around the city getting hammered at the bar, and seeing eyes moving and Jon and Tim singing projected on the sides of buildings as the biker drives past them have to do with the signing of the declaration of independence????

Honestly a 1st year film and animation student could have made better vids. Better yet, why not make a video for A Charge to Keep using the footage from Wacken (like the video for Melancholy) and not make a vid for 10000 Strong?

1. If I'm not mistaken, the band did not approve the final version of the Declaration Day video, but it was release anyways.

2. Jon has plans for the Something Wicked story outside of the album - potentially a comic book, a movie, etc. So the Ten Thousand Strong video and the album artwork ties into any future work such as a comic book as well.

1. If I'm not mistaken, the band did not approve the final version of the Declaration Day video, but it was release anyways.

2. Jon has plans for the Something Wicked story outside of the album - potentially a comic book, a movie, etc. So the Ten Thousand Strong video and the album artwork ties into any future work such as a comic book as well.

The band didn't approve the final declaration day video, the LABEL did. And I am aware of the potential plans for the Something Wicked storyline, but a fully animated video would have been far superior to the piece of crap that was released.

I don't have the patience to do an entire song-by-song breakdown, but I will say that the first time I listened to it I wasn't very impressed at all. Then on my 2nd listen it REALLY started to grow on me and before I knew it I had listened to it pretty much non-stop for 3 days straight. Right now I would say it's definitely better then The Glorious Burden, and the only real complaint I have is that there isn't enough fast songs on it, but then again the pace of the songs really does seem to suit the part of the story that they're telling. On the subject of the actual story, I've gotta say it's one of the coolest fucking stories I've ever heard, and it's only half finished!!!!! Off of the top of my head I would say that my favorite songs are Something Wicked Pt 1, 10 000 Strong, The Clouding, Framing Armageddon, and When Stars Collide (Born Is He). Oh yeah, I think I'll add Execution to that list. It's not really a full out song, but damn, the second the distortion kicks in and Tim starts screaming...FUCK YEAH!!!!!:kickass::kickass::kickass: So in conclusion Framing Armageddon is one of the best damn albums I've heard so far this year and I can't wait for part 2!

I have been impressed by all IE albums so far....but not this one.
Maybe it's a new direction they're heading...but I don't really like it.
Especially the way Mr. Owens approaches it....maybe it's because in my fantasy I still expected the same emotion and excitement I felt when I heard Matt sing Something wicked no.1
I truly think that Rip is a good singer...just his sound and approach don't appeal to me in the something wicked setting and all songs on the album kinda sound the same to me in regard to the vocals.

I am liking Pyramaze more each day though and can't wait for their album with Matt ....I just can feel that you guys won't be dissapointing me:kickass:

I have not historically been a huge Iced Earth fan in the past, but this album was on sale at Hastings, and I've thought their older stuff has been anywhere from ok to pretty good. So I picked it up. The musicianship kinda got my attention on the first listen, but the song structure and some of the vocal parts left me feeling kinda ho-hum. On second listen, I sat down and moved through with the lyrics to get a better idea of the storyline. This is when the mood of each song really began to take on a new character. This brought a whole new dimension to the album. Vocals got suddenly great and songs really took form. Initally, I figured I'd just burn a copy and return the original for store credit, but I think I'm keeping this one. I'd highly recommend that folks, like me, who were ready to dismiss it slow down, sit down, and soak this up at least once with a first track to last track listen (while following the storyline) - if you don't feel the Metal Presence, then shelf it and put on some Pyramaze.

Oh, I also meant to mention something else. I noticed several posts that led me believe that this album was being judged by it's two videos. I'll admit that kick-butt vids can add to a song, but I try really hard not to let poorly made or poorly conceptualized ones take away from the music itself- which is really what it's all about for me. Don't let a couple videos get in the way of giving this album a fair shake.

I liked the 10000 vid. He tried to make it comic booky.

I think it would have been great though is if it had still shots from the album manual thrown in.

Declaration Day made no sense to me. It was about 1776 for crying out loud. I can forgive SPV though, whoever approved it needs an adjustment in thinking.

I don't have the patience to do an entire song-by-song breakdown
I do :D

Overture - Classy mixture of tribal drums with violin/chello/guitar accompanyment.

Something Wicked Part 1 - Some cool riffage, good chorus...verse vocal melody is a bit awkward upon first listen, but gets better.

Invasion - Interesting sci-fi sounds effects...did Jon raid the offices at Lucas Arts? ;)

Motivation Of Man - Militaristic human addressing his soldiers...Ripper giving an odd delivery...sounds almost like Ozzy.

Setian Massacre - Love this track...the verses rip! Nice breakdown at "all that they've ever known is dead". Very tasteful guitar solo.

A Charge To Keep - Slow chugger...verse isn't anything special, but that anthemic chorus is pure gold...simultaneously sorrowful and triumphant, and very catchy. I can almost imagine the crowd holding lighters during this one ;)

Reflections - I dig Ripper here...nice somber delivery, and then...

Ten Thousand Strong - ...BAM, major boot to the face! :D Excellent chorus, and the bridge is great with that staccato rhythm guitar breaking things up. Finale is nice with Ripper overlaying his vocals on top of the normal chorus.

Execution - Somber interlude with native american flute, giving way to aggressive "kill them all" exclamation by Ripper.

Order Of The Rose - This is the only track that hasn't impressed me yet *shrugs* It's not bad by any means, but it needs some more dynamics.

Cataclysm - I like the echoing guitar melody taken from the intro of the revised Prophecy, nice touch. Sounds like the clouding is initiated by a supernatural electrical storm of sorts.

The Clouding - Cool echoing guitar, simple but poignant (David Gilmour-esque)...dreamy retro-like atmosphere is created with added acoustic guitars and works perfectly with the lyrical content. I like how the first part is sung from the human perspective...then comes the Setian take on it all, muahaha! The verse is nice and sinister, good job by Ripper. The closing riffs are a perfect punctuation, fading to the tribal drums.

Infiltrate And Assimilate - The pre-chorus & chorus are the true gems here...so infectious!

Retribution Through The Ages - The verse guitars are quick and furious. The chorus is very nice with that fast flurry of rhythm guitar punching through at intervals. The bridge is bloody damn good...shreddy rhythm with a melodic solo.

Something Wicked Part 2 - Nice tribal drumming with echoing bouncy guitar, then at :55 takes on eastern flare..then later a latin flare...very cool instrumental.

The Domimo Decree - Wacky organ driven intro. Evil Ripper verse. The chorus is punctuated with a nice choppy high-pitched rhythm guitar. The instrumental bridge is a true highlight, with the organ playing a prominent role...who woulda thunk? This is one funky track, and along with The Clouding is one of the most original sounding IE songs.

Framing Armageddon - Hold on to something...pure unrelenting fury in sonic form. Jon (I'm assuming it's him) overlays some great menacing spoken-word vocals in the chorus that really add to the sinister feeling of it all, while ripper gets into the upper ranges. After the second chorus, we have in-your-face slabs of rhythm guitar, followed by a decent solo, and another does of Jon's vocals. Then at 2:35 comes my favorite part...an angry galloping guitar accompanied by ethereal female vocals..fucking WIN! The conclusion is hard driving with Ripper screaming his ass off...whew!

When Stars Collide (Born Is He) - Love this track, sung entirely in choir...a very cool, heavy groove-based guitar marches throughout. The chorus is catchy and has a great bouncy vocal melody.

The Awakening - Beautiful eastern-influenced female vocals provide an eerie and emotional atmosphere...backed up by a choir, and even some tribal child vocals at one point.

Conclusion...very strong and creative effort, will take repeated listens to initially digest and become familiar with. This could be a grower for some fans, while others may embrace the progressive touches and take to it immediately. I can't wait for the next installment...bring on Revelation Abomination! :kickass:

I would love to do this song-by-song , but I guess two is enough =D.

Anyway, as a whole this album kicks major ass, I love the way it gets you involved in the story as well as doing some awesome music. I decided to listen to the album twice without any interruptions, just the music and the booklet. And WOW, was that one hell of a ride, yeah! It was like the music really had a meaning, man that felt good.

Only Order of the Rose left me a bit cold, I found it be a bit bland, otherwise the song was not that bad. I also don't really like the chorus in Infiltrate & Assimilate, though that's forgotten as the song is great in every other way. The Clouding was a bit two sided. I like the human part and I love the Setian part, but oh man, if only the Setian part would've a better chorus :X. I really don't know why I feel like this, it's just blaaaa. But DO I love the guitars? Hell yes I do =D! The Clouding could have actually been my favorite track, with a good chorus that is :/.

Ten Thousand Strong, Setian Massacre and Framing Armageddon (how can the end be that fast, that furious AND that malicious?! I'm so floored) are mindblowing, closely followed by Something Wicked Part 1, Retribution Through the Ages, Domino Decree and When Stars Collide (Born is He). I also have to mention Something Wicked Part 2, a simple instrumental as it is, it still manages to be awesome.

If you take away all the interludes and the story, you're still left with a superb album. But with the story and the interludes it becomes infinitely better, especially when listened to while thinking about the lyrics and the story. Thanks Schaffer, things like this make wish Armageddon would arrive pretty soon! \,,/

hmm...since there are quite some of you guys saying that it's a good album and that it takes some time to grow on you...I'll try listening it a bit more often....maybe I'll even like Rip's vocals a bit better after getting used to ;-)