Free Kick Sample

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Ok I made this with a Pearl Export Kick.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/610605/Export Kick.wav

I used a Power Stroke 3 skin, tuned super low and with a Avlex avs20 kick mic.

I also used back to back Waves SSL to eq and do crazy shit to get sounding good.

Please let me know your thoughts on this sample and if you use it. I have multi samples but I figure I would see if you guys even dig it.

i like it but i´d like more subs in that kick.;)

i really love the snare in last "sentinel" songs. have you in mind to share it?

Sorry guys, I have had no Internet all week and Im trying to mix a album in like 5 days which is just crazy. When I get Internet back and running and things slow down, I will finish these I promise.

Sorry guys, I have had no Internet all week and Im trying to mix a album in like 5 days which is just crazy. When I get Internet back and running and things slow down, I will finish these I promise.

That's a bummer, but I really can't wait to hear some stuff from it. The Within the Ruins mix was great. I heard something like the original release of Nothing by Meshuggah was mixed and mastered in 2 days, so you've got plenty of time haha. :D

nice! Our drummer has a Pearl Export and I just can NOT get his kicks to sound good for the life of me!! Pillow taped to batter head, little bit of eggcrate foam in there as well, falam pad, felt beaters (apparently Iron Cobra comes standard with these?!?), port in resonant head.....just too 'boomy' with not nearly enough click/attack. I have to boost so much damn treble into it to make it cut. We're thinking about getting a kick trigger but I'm not sure how to go about replacing his kicks without a proper preplacement plugin.....we dont have all kinds of $$$ to throw around.

nice! Our drummer has a Pearl Export and I just can NOT get his kicks to sound good for the life of me!! Pillow taped to batter head, little bit of eggcrate foam in there as well, falam pad, felt beaters (apparently Iron Cobra comes standard with these?!?), port in resonant head.....just too 'boomy' with not nearly enough click/attack. I have to boost so much damn treble into it to make it cut. We're thinking about getting a kick trigger but I'm not sure how to go about replacing his kicks without a proper preplacement plugin.....we dont have all kinds of $$$ to throw around.

Pillow doesn't need to be taped, just leaned against the head. I use a feather pillow as it's heavier than the foam rubber kinda shit. If you've not got a feather one than throw something on top of it to add some weight and hold it down.
Can't see any reason to throw eggcrate foam in there to be honest.
Felt beaters aren't going to get your loads of click. Go for wood or plastic.
For more attack get your mic closer to the beater, for more boom move further away.
Tune the kick batter head finger tight, and then up about half a turn. You don't want to be tuning the kick high as you'll increase sustain and boom.
What mic are you using?

If memory serves the felt part of the iron cobra beater is just a section of the beater head, not all the way around... just turn the beater around in the cradle and use the plastic side.. instant click..

If memory serves the felt part of the iron cobra beater is just a section of the beater head, not all the way around... just turn the beater around in the cradle and use the plastic side.. instant click..

The Iron Cobras come with one-sided beaters. Turning it around won't give a solid surface to hit onto the drumhead.

You might be thinking of the Pearl or DW pedals.