Frequency Analyzer VSTs

Igor Samurovic

Be careful how you grip!
Dec 15, 2011
There are several questions I'd like to ask here:
1) What do people generally think about the use of frequency analyzers and does it take or add something to production
2) Which one is the best? I've heard good things about Waves Frequency Analyzer though I've heard somewhat of a downside is that it's only accurate on the 10hz mark, which basically makes it useless for low end (though this is obviously to preserve CPU use).
3) What does Mr. Sneap think about them and does he use them?

+1 for the voxengo span too.

it's good if you wanna phase check too.

pan snare to left, overhead to right and hit snare. you can see if they're on phase.

There are several questions I'd like to ask here:
1) What do people generally think about the use of frequency analyzers and does it take or add something to production
2) Which one is the best? I've heard good things about Waves Frequency Analyzer though I've heard somewhat of a downside is that it's only accurate on the 10hz mark, which basically makes it useless for low end (though this is obviously to preserve CPU use).
3) What does Mr. Sneap think about them and does he use them?

1) People bash them for some reason but still use them. Bashing comes from "use your ears rather than eyes" but a human ear gets fatigue especially when mixing a lot and then there are times when you will find the meters very useful. I use it to see the basic brightness... if I see flat tones I can trust they'll sound good no matter where you listen to these tones, but learning to use meters takes some time. You want to capture a full spectrum and that's why I use them... so when I'm recording I always have them on so that I can see them when setting up mics. I can actually "see" when the mic position is where I want it. I know people will bash me for saying that but I've noticed guitar tones f.ex. sound best when the high end decay is as even as possible and it seems to be working for me. :)

2)The Waves is really good as you've heard. In the end it's all about what you learn to use. I use the IXL spectrum analyzer and seriously can't mix without it.

I hardly ever use an analyzer on purpose, but I did notice that since ReaEQ has it built in by default, my hunt for nasty spikes has become a lot quicker. I don't look at it while mixing, but when I hear a nasty ringing around 5k and I can SEE a spike jumping out at 4925hz, that is very practical. Anything that makes the hunt for that spike as short as possible is very welcome. That stuff destroys my judgement so fast it's not even funny.

It can also be a good second opinion on general mix balance. Mixes that sound balanced to me almost always have a frequency balance that looks like a slight downward slope from the bass to the highs. So when I'm unhappy with my balance but too tired to pinpoint it, I throw an analyzer on the 2bus. It has opened my eyes to the elephant in the room a few times.

I still think that frequency training and learning to know "what sounds good" is way better though.

Apulsoft apQualizer has a built-in analyzer plus unlimited band EQ with tons of options, great EQ plug for under $100.

I just keep DigiCheck up from the RME stuff on my secondary screen showing frequency, phase, geniometer (or whatever it's called).

fucking rules and runs straight off the fireface.