Waves H-EQ

Not exactly what I was asking still :p

Imagine you take ONE snapshot of an API EQ and try to match the curve with a DIGI EQ, my question was, will it sound EXACTLY the same as that single snapshot? Thus getting into the conclusion of, is saturation as well as harmonic distortion, in the end, all replicable by EQ? Being then, EQ by itself?
:yell: :lol:

By DIGI EQ, are you talking about any digital equalizer or a specific one? Still not sure if I understand, but are you asking if the harmonic distortion and saturation is a "byproduct" of the process of equalizing itself? Like, if you took the cleanest possible digital EQ with "just" EQ and no emulated distortion etc. and match the curve of the API EQ at a certain setting, would it sound the same?
(if that's your question then I think the answer is "no", because the frequency response is not the only factor of an EQs sound)

with digi eq I mean any digital eq yes. That was my question yes, because if "anything" can be replicated by matching Curve EQs, why not a single snapshot of the harmonic distortion and saturation of an analog EQ? Get what I'm saying? :p

with digi eq I mean any digital eq yes. That was my question yes, because if "anything" can be replicated by matching Curve EQs, why not a single snapshot of the harmonic distortion and saturation of an analog EQ? Get what I'm saying? :p
Haha I think I finally do. Hm.. I just don't believe that anything can be replicated by matching curve equalizers. But if it did work, what use would it be?
The harmonic distortion, phase shifting, etc will only be accurate for that specific time of the snapshot and if you turn the knobs or a different signal is sent through the chain, it wouldn't be the same anymore, would it?
At this point I'm just guessing mind you, but I'd be interested if someone could explain this with physical facts, haha.

Guys, EQ curves alone can't produce saturation or harmonic overtones. Also, all of the UAD classic EQ clones (Neve, Pultec, SSL, etc.) introduce harmonics, saturation, etc. I know because I've measured it.

It's extremely misleading to imply that all digital EQs are the same - they are not. Use a sinewave generator at various frequencies and use an FFT plugin last in the chain (such as Voxengo SPAN) to see the harmonics that many digital EQs are adding compared to the dry signal, even with flat settings - this cannot be done with your standard boring parametric or with a curve EQ plot, or with impulses. Obviously, if you compare the Cubase, Logic, and Pro Tools stock parametrics - those will be the same, but almost all classic analog emulation EQs on the market introduce effects that cannot be emulated with a stock parametric.

Scientific measurements using FFT, and null tests between processed audio will prove what I am saying. You can do all of this with any DAW, and it's worth doing to challenge assumptions and put arguments like this to rest.

Back on topic - this new Waves plugin looks awesome.

Guys, EQ curves alone can't produce saturation or harmonic overtones. Also, all of the UAD classic EQ clones (Neve, Pultec, SSL, etc.) introduce harmonics, saturation, etc. I know because I've measured it.
Still off-topic... You measured saturation and harmonic overtones in the UAD Pultec? How did you do that?

It's extremely misleading to imply that all digital EQs are the same - they are not. Use a sinewave generator at various frequencies and use an FFT plugin last in the chain (such as Voxengo SPAN) to see the harmonics that many digital EQs are adding compared to the dry signal, even with flat settings - this cannot be done with your standard boring parametric or with a curve EQ plot, or with impulses. Obviously, if you compare the Cubase, Logic, and Pro Tools stock parametrics - those will be the same, but almost all classic analog emulation EQs on the market introduce effects that cannot be emulated with a stock parametric.

Scientific measurements using FFT, and null tests between processed audio will prove what I am saying. You can do all of this with any DAW, and it's worth doing to challenge assumptions and put arguments like this to rest.

Back on topic - this new Waves plugin looks awesome.
What I like most is the people who claim they hear a difference between two files, then a null test shows the files are the same. Then the person claims null tests don't actually mean the audio is the same. :p

I spent a couple hours today demoing the H-EQ and the DMG Audio EQuality plugs against each other. As far as features go, the two plugs are very similar, both in appearance and functionality.

I tried both plugs on a full mix that I'm mastering for a local act. Tomorrow I'll demo them on individual elements in a mix to get a better idea of the difference.

My first impressions:

The DMG EQuality SMOKED the H-EQ. To me the H-EQ just sounded bad in comparison - I know we're talking about two digital EQs here, but the EQuality sounded smoother, tighter, and more musical in the highs and the lows, and I found the GUI much easier on the eyes.

Like I said, I need to spend more time putting both EQs through the paces (especially on individual instruments), but I invite anyone interested in the H-EQ to check out the DMG Equality as well - you can get a 30-day demo on their site:

DMG Audio EQuality

If anyone else wants to compare the two and tell me if I'm nuts, please feel free. But so far, when my credit card comes out, DMG Audio is getting the business.