All Digital Parametric EQ’s are the same?

SocialNumb

Damn Christians!
Aug 15, 2006
Boyton, WPB, FL
I’m going to make a broad statement that seems to cause some to fret.

All Digital Parametric EQ’s are the same.

Read the entire post to fully understand the statement.

Ok now time to explain.

I know your sitting there saying but hey my Waves , URS, Oxy, UAD, Vox, blah blah sound completely different. This is why. With emulation plugins you have EQ+X. X can = Saturation, bandwidth limits, softclips, & so on. Now take away X what do you have? The EQ algorithm.
Lets look at Digital EQ types.

1. Parametric/Series – “PEQ”.
(These are the most common track EQ’s, Most channelstrip EQ’s, Most Plugin EQ’s, Native DAW eq’s, it’s never ending. )

2. Parallel – More uncommon in the digital world. Algorithmix has one.

3. Linear phase – Mastering EQ

These 3 types will be different. But PEQ’s are the most commonly used/emulated.
You can take any respectable PEQ and create all of the curve/phase characteristics of any other digital PEQ. It is the “X” that is the variable. The Q & Gain numerical value settings are a developer decision. You can’t compare EQ’s by matching dials & numbers. You have to use analyzers & match curves.

Digital emulations for the most part are marketing hype. If you use a fully variable PEQ like the one that comes native with your host & saturation plugins/tools. You will be able to recreate just about any classic console EQ you have heard.

Don’t just take my word for it, listen to the developers.

Read this from Algorithmix http://www.algorithmix.com/en/classic_peq_blue.htm

The truth is that with a properly designed, fully parametric analytic PEQ, every amplitude and phase characteristic of any other equalizer setup can be recreated. Of course, the contribution of distortions to the specific sound of a particular analog equalizer caused by the respective electronics has to be considered. If the distortions are ‘good’, they may make certain applications sound better.

More with null tests: http://www.rhythminmind.net/presetblog/2009/03/digital-eq-fact-myth/

:cry:

I don´t think it´s that painful... There are still differences in saturation (as said) and features. This test is telling me I should´ve never bought my apQualizr because my Cubase channel EQ could get me the exact same results. But my Cubase EQ has only 4 bands, which is very limited, no specrum analysis, too shallow high and lowpass filters and no M-S processing.

I don´t think it´s that painful... There are still differences in saturation (as said) and features. This test is telling me I should´ve never bought my apQualizr because my Cubase channel EQ could get me the exact same results. But my Cubase EQ has only 4 bands, which is very limited, no specrum analysis, too shallow high and lowpass filters and no M-S processing.

Man, ReaEQ's infinite bands has really spoiled me