EQ Plugin comparison

MetalSound

Nov 14, 2006
i just did a small digital eq comparison. this is not meant to be a scientific test. it is just to show how different eqs sound with (nearly) the same settings. of course this isn´t possible with all eqs due to some limitations (no q factor adjustments or just limited switchable frequency settings).
i didn´t even try to match the output of the eqs. so it´s just adjusting the frequency as close as possible and turning the appropriate gain knob.

on the uad 4k and neve 88rs file i used the shelving eq which i shouldn´t have done to be more correct but as i said it´s no scientific test.

i recorded the guitars with too much bass so there is a lo cut at 80hz on all files.

eq comparison

maybe someone can upload it on dropbox or something and post the link here so i can delete the files from my server in a week or so.

Thanks for doing this. I'll try to get the files up on my dropbox for you.

The differences between the Pultec and other eq's is quite dramatic. I didn't think it would be such a big difference, but it really seems to add some lowmid tubby quality and almost scoops the tone.

UAD Pultec Pro -4db@700hz and -3db@100hz -- This clip really stands out from the other EQ's with the same settings. I almost want to buy a UAD card now...

you won´t be disappointed i promise.
i might be selling 4 uad-1 cards ´cause i´m building a new pc soon. if you are interested let me know.