SSL vs Speck. New eq help

EOC

Feb 28, 2011
Dudes i need some help for buying a new eq:
had anyone tried Speck asc 500 module eq? How does it compare to the SSL eq? For what i gather speck is cleaner than the SSL.

Here is what i need:
I have a kush electra, a pultec clone and a sort of neve clone. I can achieve very nice results with them, but i often find that it would be nice to sweep the frequency AND variable Q. Kush has a proportional Q and sounds awesome, but it would be nice to have an SSL style eq for surgical cuts a for some wider boost but sweeping the q as I used to do ITB
The debate between this two eqs is that in papers both offer the almost the same specs (as far as what i need) but the SSL is las 300 buck more expensive. I love to convine eqs so "mojo" is not an issue.

What do you think?
Saying "screw that, just use plugins for that and do the rest with hardware"is an option.

Thanks!

I too use mostly ITB EQ but have outboard EQ that even the cheap kinds are worth GOLD. Nothing sounds better. Now, for which EQ, I say SSL. My time on the 4k and 6k were made memorable by not feeling limited by the EQ on those desks. They just do nearly everything well. Worth the extra cash.

SSL because it's more coloured and you have both black and brown modes in one (if you get the 4k) but I think I'd be happy using just Equilibrium or Waves if I didn't have the module. I have to record another blind test soon with different converters this time as the last one made me wonder why I still keep the EQ. The Dynamics section is quite obvious, though.

Keep an eye for a 2nd hand one if you're getting the hardware.

Edit: the comparison was uploaded here in the forum.

SSL because it's more coloured and you have both black and brown modes in one (if you get the 4k) but I think I'd be happy using just Equilibrium or Waves if I didn't have the module. I have to record another blind test soon with different converters this time as the last one made me wonder why I still keep the EQ. The Dynamics section is quite obvious, though.

Keep an eye for a 2nd hand one if you're getting the hardware.

Edit: the comparison was uploaded here in the forum.

yeah, the other day I did a comparison between equilibrium, waves and nebula (Alex b) with great success. I guess I'm just gasing for that extra 2% mojo of the hardware...
the thing is that I'm mostly working otb these days and I wanted to keep it that way, but I think that using my current hardware + equilibrium is the way to go.
can you point me to the thread of the comparison? Thanks!