DUENDE NATIVE vs SSL XRACK (samples inside)

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
EDIT : ANSWERS ON PAGE 2 (IF YOU WANNA TRY OUT BEFORE)
FIXED : BOTH FILES ARE NOW DOWNLOADABLE

guys, i just received my new xrack, filled with a gssl buscomp, a stereo dynamic strip, 3 4k series mono eqs and 2 9k series stereo eqs.

i toootally love this thing. what i was curious about :

how do they compare to the duende native stuff released recently.

i tried matching as close as i could, the xrack has no exact markers,
so i basically had to finetune by ear, as close as i could.
this is no scientific test, (and in my opinion for what we do science is not the most relevant argument for anyhting we do)
but i wanted to know : will my tracks sound "better" with outboard eqs?

so : which one do you prefer ?
A or B ?
which one is the real deal ? A or B ?

http://soundcloud.com/sotafilms/a-sn-ssl-duende-vs-real-1

http://soundcloud.com/sotafilms/b-sn-ssl-duende-vs-real

(info : both were tracked through an SSL 4k console, its more rock than metal) both ran through my gssl comp, to give it extra smack.
i think its important to test pluginshow they integrate in the mix,
because to my ears, thats when they get revealed....
so both ran through the same conversion, same gssl setting AND SSL channelstrip/compression.
>> the only difference here is the eq section.

to be honest, at first i thought that i exported the same file twice.
but after you dive into the sound, you listen to different aspects,
i really love what the real thing does a loot more.
still the plugin does a great job, thats for sure!

ADDIT : i really dont know why the gate behaves differently, as they had the same loudness... i hope its not to distracting. but thats again something
thats interesting -> how does the signal work in context...

congrats for the xrack! how do you use it? each unit on it's own or in a chain? can't say anything on topic because I'm on my laptop :)

B sounds way better. DAMNIT! A has a super harsh attack + high-end 'digital' splat thing going on. yuck. if B is the X-Rack, I'd be inclined to hear you pump more high-end into it, as we know the plug and hardware won't be perfectly matched...

I vote B for the real deal. It is a bit fatter and A sounds a bit flatter and thinner.

Would be really nice if you could post a clip with heavy guitars in stereo :)

hey buddy, i will!
i really love the ssls on guitars, its incredible how you can shape sounds with these monsters. really love it. but first i need moaaar opinions ;-)!

congrats for the xrack! how do you use it? each unit on it's own or in a chain? can't say anything on topic because I'm on my laptop :)

thanks! yeah, i integrate every single elemnet as a plugin in cubase on inserts.
really nice, cubase measures latency and its just so fuckin comfortable to use!

FIXED : A SHOULD BE DOWNLOADABLE... fuck i hate soundcloud....

but : charles : im a little surprised, cause to me a sounds more high endy ;-)... not saying this is the plugin...
well id like to have more opinions on this, so hopefully i have the time to reupp tomorrow!

You seem to have a huge ad/da section. Totally awesome. Print a lot to be able to use your New babies all over the place!

I would expect the hardware to be quite a bit better, it costs a bloody fortune! haha

I like both, A's got more mids and some more top end, B's more scooped and "neutral" sounding...I do like teh mid range though ;)