DUENDE NATIVE vs SSL XRACK (samples inside)

Having 2 E serie eqs +vhd pre/filters and a duende, I feel like you that the x-rack are "cleaner", a tiny bit less "cloudy", like you say there's more clarity in the mids. And I prefer the filters in the VHD pre. But duende's plug are the best plugins i've tried yet.

He reportedly goes 12dB reduction with 100ms release. That's always baffled me. Either he is a genius or I've been had severely.

Jesus... That's seriously unbelievable...

With my gcomp in x-rack on the two buss i always lost clarity and pump too much past 4 db... Like you I can't understand what he does to make it work....it's crazy! I hesitate to say that's a desk thing but if Pedro says that it doesn't work on his Aws900...

Don't take my word on it, I haven't done extensive tests doing that, but I've managed to get it to 8dB, but further than that it didn't sound good to my ears, MUCH less with 100ms release

Yes Pedro, but i never heard anybody else that can do this, and when I see my friend using it on a 4K it's only to catch some kick/snare with 2/4dB...And he mixes french house/electro/pop.
So your experience seems "normal".

I was rereading the Ermin thread about "Randy Staub techs" (great thread!), and i feel it really use it more as a limiter, surely in parallel and maybe only on "bassy instuments buss" or something...

this is really interesting...(about the GR)

am i the only one who barely kisses the needle? i find that anything past 3db of GR gets really pumpy with the quad bus on the console of course. And with the Waves plugin past 3db, it starts to sound good.

ive had luck with 8 db of gr with the gssl, not sure if staub tells the truth here, 12 db of gain reduction with just one comp... well mixing into the comp it might work... ill try it out with a nickelback coversong or something.

ermz : yeah, lets do that. im curious too. the problem is that every comp behaves differently when you mix in the mb compression. how do we do that? full mixes?

still i wanna show that the hardware eq is superior to duende. it will show on musical content (with actual notes)
a lot more than onn drums! coming tomorrow!

I entered here a little late, but for me it is clear that A sounds better to my ears.

this is really interesting...(about the GR)

am i the only one who barely kisses the needle? i find that anything past 3db of GR gets really pumpy with the quad bus on the console of course. And with the Waves plugin past 3db, it starts to sound good.

CLA and TLA use small amount of GR on 2bus.
Never hear about kissing the red (Focusrite red3 comp)?

nope.

but i have the d3 compressor...maybe i´ll try doing that with it. Thanx for the heads upon that one...

Mixer like CLA and TLA use the red3 a lot (TLA spoke about on various interview).
But is really important to know both Alge use the really first red3 revision. Only the first one have transformers.

For more info about the beast:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/363278-focusrite-red-3-a.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/35584-focusrite-red-3-230-anyone-shed-light.html

Sorry for the Off topic...

Dont know if this is relevant to the staub & the 12 db of gain reduction but im pretty sure the SSL Bus comp used a Sifam PPM Peak meter rather than VU meter like most other comps and each numbered division is 4db on a PPM (PPM show peaks whereas VU is more of an average) so this might go some way to explaining things perhaps?