UAD-2 vs. Duende vs. TC Powercore

xFkx

gain induction
Mar 3, 2008
Poland
www.myspace.com
So...

I've been browsing through the net, wanting to choose a DSP card that would be the best option.

I though maybe we could start a definite end it all discussion about which is the best one ?

We have three options too choose:

- SSL Duende
- UAD-2
- TC Powercore ?

You're opinions ?

Right now I figure the best option would be buying one Duende for the SSL channel strip, and one UAD-2 For the amazing compressors

Your opinions ?

I have Duende and UAD-2 and they are both awesome honestly. Probably doesn't help you much but...SSL is my go to for utility EQ and Compression where UAD is more 'character' type shit. Duende does have some occasional bullshit with stopping working but usually a restart will fix it. Sounds killer tho.

do anyone tried the X-comp and X-eq upgrade plugin that comes with SSL ? I've read they just kick ass so much that that's the first time a lot of people that worked on real ssl tables felt it was "really close" to the real thing. Everyone seems to love that 2 plugs.

Yeah, but it's a cpu hog, you can run 13 instances, and with a duende you can run 32 instances

With the UAD-2 Quad you can run 52 mono instances and 32 stereo..

But I hear what you are saying. The Quad is wicked expensive now..

Another one I think to keep in your sights is the Focusrite Liquid Mix.

I have been really happy with mine. Great EQ and Compressors, and you get 32 instances.

Can be colored or clean. There were some issues in the past, but it has definitely matured with firmware upgrades and a couple new models, which you get for free BTW.

UAD is great too. For channel strips, I wonder how the Neve 88RS stacks up to the SSL. Then you can get quite a few instances of that. And if you get the Nevana bundle, you would get the 88rs, 33609, 1081, and the 1073.

My beef with UAD is that after spending some serious dough on the DSP card, you still pay a premium price for plugins. And there are lots of native equivalents from Voxengo, Stillwell, and the like that are way cheaper and arguably sound better, especially for the more "utility" type plugs. The same is true with Duende and the PowerCore.

But I also really do like the idea of essentially loading up a full console of the 88RS's. Also having the option of Neve, SSL, UAD's, etc. Mixed with something like the Liquid Mix, you would have tons of great sounding options and plenty of DSP for most mixes.

I'll read up on the liquid mix, definitly, i like the controller a lot..

In the meantime:

The Duende is installed on my PC, works like a charm and the plugins sound so smooth it's almost beautiful :) I can agree on the general consensus that Waves SSL sounds more raspy

Now i'm saving up for the UAD-2 Solo.. wooowooo.

Oh, and i've switched to reaper. The Beta 3 is awesome.

another vote for liquid mix. honestly... it smokes man! sounds great, and the controller really helps you use your ears, rather than your eyes. it is pretty affordable, and can run up to 64 instances! I pretty much use it exclusively for compression. the eq is great as well, but I prefer to use my linear phase eq because it is more transparent. honestly though, I could do a pretty sweet mix using only the liquid mix!

I'll read up on the liquid mix, definitly, i like the controller a lot..

In the meantime:

The Duende is installed on my PC, works like a charm and the plugins sound so smooth it's almost beautiful :) I can agree on the general consensus that Waves SSL sounds more raspy

Now i'm saving up for the UAD-2 Solo.. wooowooo.

Oh, and i've switched to reaper. The Beta 3 is awesome.

Are you using PCIe or firewire model?
I think getting one of those too...:err:

Are you using PCIe or firewire model?
I think getting one of those too...:err:

PCIe, i'm glad that i had zilch problems, installed without any problems, toyed around yesterday with the plugins in reaper and live, audio buffer set to 64 (suposably too low for dsp cards), and everything worked perectly :headbang:

PCIe, i'm glad that i had zilch problems, installed without any problems, toyed around yesterday with the plugins in reaper and live, audio buffer set to 64 (suposably too low for dsp cards), and everything worked perectly :headbang:

Thanks for the reply.Is that ssl bus comp including in that PCIe card?
Or do i have to buy it afterwards.:confused:

Hi.

@XFKX

I've heard that compressor part in duende channelstrip is not a best choice for tight drums and more than 2:1 ratio setting sounds strange and "out of control". can You confirm/deny it?