SSL 4000G vs. smartC2 vs. Software..mixbus shootout

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
yo my honeyfarts.
I just got my rackmounted SSL 4000G Mixbus comp and thought I'd give you a little comparison.

The contestants are

SSL4000G (Rackmounted)
Smart Research C2
Some Software that claims to sound like an SSL mixbus comp

I set the comps to 4dB gain reduction (at 1k sine), 2:1.
no sidechain input.
For the software the signal was sent through the same DA/AD chain to eliminate the influence of the Conversion, the unprocessed File was NOT sent through the converters (I just forgot that).

here are the files:

comp shhootout

I think the software sounds like a fucking muddy joke compared to the hardware....
the hardware units are really similar (no surprise, the C2 is kinda an SSL clone), I think I like the C2 a bit more still (somehow more je-ne-sais-quoi / glue) but both are great IMO...I think the SSL will go on the drumbus and the C2 will stay on the mixbus in the future

but what am I telling you that...you decide for yourselves

I think I prefer the SSL4000G. I'm glad. The software didn't win this time although I think it could sound -maybeeee- better with a slower attack.

That 4000G acts a lot like my GSSL. I love the way they grab the transients. They really tend to pump on the kick a lot.

I think the C2 keeps the mix together better though. Your call to use the 4k on the DrumBus and C2 on Mixbus is a good one I'd say!

That software is a joke. Which plug-in was it?

The software sounds quieter to me, tbh

FYI: in terms of RMS, SSL is .3dB louder than the C2, which is 1dB louder than the software.

The software sounds more squished and has a lower RMS. But if you raise the level on that by about 1dB they're not that much different IMO. Turn up the software one a bit louder.

They all soften the guitars and darken the tone a bit.
Maybe the additional conversion on the 3 compressed examples is a factor and I'm listening to the wrong things.

Either of the hardware have the edge here in getting it more polished. The software pushes the drums further back than the others. Uncompressed had the best "bite" on the guitars.

I would add the Cytomic Glue and UAD SSL4K compressor to the shootout. Both of those do not muddy up and ruin the stereo image like the Waves compressor, in my opinion. The only Waves compressor I have tried that I liked on a bus was the API 2500.

Gotta disagree. I really disliked The Glue on a shoot-out I did a while back. Another blind shoot-out presented itself recently on GS where a majority of us called The Glue pretty thin, sterile, or whatever. My words about the Waves SSL Bus comp (still blind) were 'if this were a plug-in compressor I would consider it adequate for mix use'.

So all things have stayed consistent there. The hardware is consistently the best, the Waves SSL Bus Comp is consistently the best hardware replacement, and The Glue is just too clean/weird to do the same thing.

Trust me, I've looked far and wide. The only plug-in comp I'd consider flipping the Waves SSL Comp out for is the elysia mPressor (drums only, not whole mix).

Gotta disagree. I really disliked The Glue on a shoot-out I did a while back. Another blind shoot-out presented itself recently on GS where a majority of us called The Glue pretty thin, sterile, or whatever. My words about the Waves SSL Bus comp (still blind) were 'if this were a plug-in compressor I would consider it adequate for mix use'.

So all things have stayed consistent there. The hardware is consistently the best, the Waves SSL Bus Comp is consistently the best hardware replacement, and The Glue is just too clean/weird to do the same thing.

Trust me, I've looked far and wide. The only plug-in comp I'd consider flipping the Waves SSL Comp out for is the elysia mPressor (drums only, not whole mix).

Link to that shootout?

Hmm, I sold the GSSL I built after buying the 4K comp for my UAD-2. If I ever want more of an SSL sound I usually put AlexB's CLC Nebula program on the bus.

Try this magic setting on the SSL mix comp:

4:1, attack 30, release second to fastest, 3db of compression

aggressive and punchy

Try this magic setting on the SSL mix comp:

4:1, attack 30, release second to fastest, 3db of compression

aggressive and punchy

thanks, gonna try it.

usually I have 2:1 (used to have 4:1), 30ms atk, fastest release, 4dB.

I did try your setting but with 3:1 ratio (the C2 does that), sounded really good...everything was "3" (or 30 or 0.3) ;)...anyways, will report back with a shootout between those 2 settings