Routing the Mixbus in Cubase 5 to somewhere...uhm...else...?

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
Okay, here's the deal:

Since I got a new mixbus compressor (ssl clone) I want to use a highpass on the sidechain. Too bad there's no send in the sidechain. So what I need to do is copy the mixbus, put a highpass filter on the copy and send it to the comp. Easy, right? No, not for me. There are no routing options on my mixbus in cubase 5. So I had to route all my groups (via send effect) to another bus to make this work. Took a lot of time and I'm wondering if there is another, easier way to do that.

I thought it would work like that:

Master Bus -> send to sidechain bus with hpf -> send to compressor

any way to set this up?

I always set up a "mixbus" group as one of the first things i do when i start a mix - that becomes my master fader, essentially. i don't know of any other way to do this.

I've assigned the mix buss to a set out of outputs and routed those back into a group channel and the sent THAT group channel to an additional mix bus output before. Can you not do this? It would save time from routing all your group channels and stuff to basically only adding 2 things, the additional group channel and the second master out.

Doh...wait, you are wanting to run parallel, right?

okay, this is what I got now and I'm getting REALLY frustrated:

Cubase is setup as usual, having out 1+2 (Fireface 800) as my main out. I have my compressor as an external effect (channel 7+8 for my i/o's) on the mixbus. The sidechain send is channel 5 (mono out). So: I routed all my channels to a groupchannel called "Sidechain" with the hpf on it. This one has channel 5 (setup in vst-connections) as its out. Everything works in playback. But now this is where its getting really frustrating: When I'm exporting in real time, channel 5 has no signal at all in the rme mixer. Channel 7+8 are working just fine. But my compressor is not compressing at all because it's waiting for a signal from the sidechain. Why is this happening to me!? I have NO idea. Can anyone help? I know Ermin is using Cubase 5, RME stuff and a GSSL so this should be pretty similar (if he's using the sidechain...)

Okay, here's the deal:

Since I got a new mixbus compressor (ssl clone) I want to use a highpass on the sidechain. Too bad there's no send in the sidechain. So what I need to do is copy the mixbus, put a highpass filter on the copy and send it to the comp. Easy, right? No, not for me. There are no routing options on my mixbus in cubase 5. So I had to route all my groups (via send effect) to another bus to make this work. Took a lot of time and I'm wondering if there is another, easier way to do that.

I thought it would work like that:

Master Bus -> send to sidechain bus with hpf -> send to compressor

any way to set this up?

F4 -> create a new hardware insert

and

create a bus and a new mono output for the sidechain

F4 -> create a new hardware insert

and

create a bus and a new mono output for the sidechain

Thats pretty much what i did... Retry it later this day. Its just that while exporting the output for the sidechain is muted (out 5), just like the main outs. That means the comp doesn't work because it gets no signal from the sidechain.

got it. had to create a second external effect routed to my sidechain out... that way it worked...took me only 5 hours to find out :D I'm still struggling with the RME Mixer...