SSL 4000G vs. smartC2 vs. Software..mixbus shootout

Try this magic setting on the SSL mix comp:

4:1, attack 30, release second to fastest, 3db of compression

aggressive and punchy

Hey Steven, would you mostly advocate that setting for slower material, because I could imagine a 300ms release would play havoc with the transients on anything quicker?

To my knowledge Randy mostly uses 4:1, 30 attack, 100 rel and 6 to 13dB of GR.

I'm still trying to swing that GR without everything taking a crap, but it's been quite fun trying.

Just pick my fav from your clip:
C2

But can be different with different material.
Btw, what is this 4K comp, a rackmounted quad bus from a G serie?

Try this magic setting on the SSL mix comp:

4:1, attack 30, release second to fastest, 3db of compression

aggressive and punchy

I usually use settings close to this, but lately i've liking more and more 2:1 ratio. Less pumping.

didn't andy say in the questions for AS thread that he's usually running it on 2:1 with around 5db GR at max?

anyways, for me it's mostly between auto release and 0.1 release on the ssl comp. depends on the material....i've never had much success with anything else, but i'll try the settings posted above anyways.

didn't andy say in the questions for AS thread that he's usually running it on 2:1 with around 5db GR at max?

anyways, for me it's mostly between auto release and 0.1 release on the ssl comp. depends on the material....i've never had much success with anything else, but i'll try the settings posted above anyways.

As far as I know he talked about using the waves SSL for mastering with ratio 2:1 slow attack and most of the time auto-release.
Only 2-4dB gain reduction.

Steven your SSL setting works wonderfully with the waves plugin on the drum-bus

The second to fastest release time works on a lot of stuff.. it thickens up the transients because it holds on to them juuuuuust enough. 4:1 always has a fatter low end then 2:1.. but if I use the SSL on mastering then its always 2:1 slowest att and autorelease which is the most transparent. I never use autorelease on mixbuss anymore, its too light.

If you guys have a chance, try the FG-X compressor on your mix buss with 2:1, attack 3 o'clock and release at 9 o'clock with 2-4db GR.. its punchy and tight as hell..

If you guys have a chance, try the FG-X compressor on your mix buss with 2:1, attack 3 o'clock and release at 9 o'clock with 2-4db GR.. its punchy and tight as hell..

Did exactly that on a recent bounce. You're right, it absolutely kicks ass for a software comp. Was more than pleasantly surprised. I forget whether it was Marty or Alex who was pushing for it, but you guys should definitely sell that thing as an individual plug-in, because it seems to be a fair way ahead of anything else out there.