whats this piece of equipment called?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
I finally bought a great pair of Rokit 5's gen1.

They sound great but the drum kicks dont BUMP as much as i would like them to.

If i go into my windows settings i can turn up the BASS and TREBLE.

If i turn up the BASS it gives me the BUMP i really like but i know this can be harmful to my mix right?.

Now my question is, do any of you use equalizers, im not talking about EQs in a DAW, but just EQs in general to change the output. (downloaded eq software or something)

Or is there a type of equipment that i can connect to my line6 interface which is an EQ or has some type of bass boost and if so what is it called? (mixer? equalizer?)

thanks sorry for the noob question

The lack of that BUMP (or BOOM, as Tad Donley would say) is caused by the small monitors with inadequate low frequency reproduction (correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't used these exact models, and I'm rather going with my experience of other similar cheap 5" monitors) and the acoustical problems of the space you are working in. While using an EQ in the monitoring chain might seem to fix the problem, it introduces new problems into the monitoring situation and is generally not a very highly favored practice. Your primary goal in studio monitoring is to get the most honest and revealing sonic image of the audio as possible, and artificially boosting frequencies in the monitoring chain doesn't really help there. I'd say your options are the following, going from the most expensive to the cheapest:

1) Treat the room. Lots of great how-to's on building bass traps and broadband absorbers, absorber positioning and such is available on this forum if you search around for a bit. Also check out http://www.johnlsayers.com/ and http://www.realtraps.com/ for some great information about room acoustics. If the problem persists, invest in better monitors.
2) Use decent headphones to check the low frequency content of your mixes. Not optimal, but it helps.
3) Learn to live with or use an EQ in the output chain. I can't really recommend either, as problems like this are always better solved than ignored or worked around.

Good luck! :)

No! Bad bad bad!

You want your monitors to be as accurate as possible. Adding bass boosts after your DAW is going to make them less accurate. You're compensating for a lack of lower frequencies (because you've only got 5" woofers) by bumping the low frequencies you do have.

Leave stuff flat and reference your mix against commercial records you like the sound of.

Yeah dont get a sub. Leave those fuckers as flat as you can, Learn them, and when you feel your knowledge, skillset and ears are getting better, move on to better monitors.

I use a Behringer Truth sub in combination with the KRK RP5G2's.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B2092A-Truth-360W-Subwoofer/dp/B000SY75KQ[/ame]

It's good for checking the low end in your mixes, but it's very important to use reference mixes so you don't overdo it