Fruity Loops users, come forward, share tips

guitarplaya18

Dec 25, 2009
So how many of you are using fruity loops for your recordings? I know it's not exactly conventional, but I do like it. However, you definitely have to do some things differently than in traditional daws. Anyone have tips on anything regarding fl studio?

Here are some things I would like to know

1. Can you set some hot keys so that you can punch in while recording?
2. Is there another way to crossfade two tracks besides automation?

Hopefully some of you have some answers. If any of you have questions, feel free to ask, I've been using it for a little while now and I might be able to help

2. Is there another way to crossfade two tracks besides automation?

yes
for slip editing
under channel settings -> declicking, you can select different types of auto fades
if you press f1 and search for "deckilcking" you have it all expalained
and if you select "bleeding", the auto fade-outs will start AFTER the displayed end of the audio clip

I know about this, but actual crossfades do not appear on the clips like when you do it with automation. I was wondering if there was a way that clips would autocrossfade when put together and then i could adjust that crossfade. Guess not...this should really be an update in future versions

I know about this, but actual crossfades do not appear on the clips like when you do it with automation. I was wondering if there was a way that clips would autocrossfade when put together and then i could adjust that crossfade. Guess not...this should really be an update in future versions
The thing is Fruity Loops isn't for recording real music. It's for making electronic music and loops out of existing samples..

Sure it has the facilities to do some of the stuff, but it's really just not designed for it.

Try Reaper.

well if two audio clips that are put togeter are both in the same declicking setting with bleeding, the crossfades are generated automatically,
if two audio clips are touching, they are not auto fade ins and outs with a little gap inbetween, they are real crossfades but you can just select between 10, 20, 100, and 200 ms

The thing is Fruity Loops isn't for recording real music. It's for making electronic music and loops out of existing samples..

Sure it has the facilities to do some of the stuff, but it's really just not designed for it.

Try Reaper.

it used to, but the newer versions have improved drastically in this area really

yea, I mean you could really get by with using fruity loops now. It has improved alot. Certain things such as the routing capabilities of the mixer make me love the program.

it used to, but the newer versions have improved drastically in this area really

Does it allow you to make audio edits properly in songs which include tempo changes yet? That was what made FL Studio unusable for me.

Does it allow you to make audio edits properly in songs which include tempo changes yet? That was what made FL Studio unusable for me.

well it is possible, but its still a huge pain in the ass, and if a timestretched clip passes a tempo change, you must still split it
the problem is that the playlist is in beats, not in absolute time, so therefore the length of audio clips depends on the tempo, and if the tempo varies, the length of the audio clip varies too, dependant on where you are in the song, which can be quite distracting visually

well it is possible, but its still a huge pain in the ass, and if a timestretched clip passes a tempo change, you must still split it
the problem is that the playlist is in beats, not in absolute time, so therefore the length of audio clips depends on the tempo, and if the tempo varies, the length of the audio clip varies too, dependant on where you are in the song, which can be quite distracting visually

what he said. It really is not a huge problem. Or at least it has not been for me yet. It does sort of slow you down a little when working. So this is definitely not a daw for pro's...but just for someone at home making music, its not really to much of a hassle

...the problem is that the playlist is in beats, not in absolute time...

Yeah, but that's true of every other multitrack host too, isn't it?

The real problem is that every other program calculates which audio sample belongs on which beat and draws the wave displays accordingly. FL Studio just doesn't bother. :bah: