Frustrated by dummy load and IRs, suggestions?

hsnyder

Harris Snyder
Dec 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Hello,

So I've got a Palmer PDI-03 which i love for clean and lead sounds. But those damn metal rhythm guitars just don't quite kill properly through it. So I tried using the line out and impulse responses. Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but they seem to sound flat and dry... They lack the "pushed air" sound, I guess? They just don't have the right energy IMO. I'm fairly confident that I've exhausted the DI options and am now thinking about going to speakers. Now I can't actually record speakers at proper volumes in my house I don't think, for a number of fairly obvious reasons.

I guess I could record a 50 watt amp on 3 or so, which is loud enough to get the speakers moving I guess, but I probably couldn't go much louder than that.

How about isocabs? Are they a step up from impulse responses, or not really?

indeed, this is true... TBH I'm thinking I might just have a go at using a real mic and speaker... imagine that.. lol. sorry for the lame thread guys, was just hoping there might be some miraculous solutions

Yeah I have... But I was lucky enough to be doing that in a space where the volume wasn't an issue. I was much happier with that tone than I am with the sounds I'm getting from impulse responses so far. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

I don't know, maybe you haven't found an impulse that matches your taste yet? That being said, nothing beats the real thing so if you're very picky (not a bad thing!) you might never be happy :) Even if the Torpedo is the closest I've found there is still room for improvement.

Well I'll give it a go anyways. I think it's true that I haven't found the right impulse yet though... I will keep looking, for sure

oh cool. Thanks Zakky. I can't hear that well cause i only have laptop speakers until I get home this evening, but seems to sound pretty good! what kind of EQ shapes did you use?

^^ oh i dont remember the eq shapes, but i messed with it alot with a 30 band graphic eq i used to have... im sure you can use a eq plugin to do it also

Zakky

Whoa man, i just listened on my Shure SHR840s and am thoroughly impressed. Is there a really minor room reverb on the guitars? Just for early reflections type stuff?

Brett

Saw that thread :) I was very impressed, I downloaded the free version of their plugin and played around with it. I was actually impressed! It still had something I had a hard time putting my finger on that was also present in my IR recordings, not sure exactly what. But a definite improvement. Thanks for letting me know about them.

been fiddling with the EQ - it's actually sounding great! It really does need EQ though. I was surprised to find a really harsh spike around 4kHz... its usually around 6 that you need to chop.

Were you using an analog EQ? I'm thinking about getting one for monitor latency reasons...

^^^ yes it was an analog rack eq, dont remember the brand,..........try to raise (100hz to 200hz 6db) and (2khz to 4khz 3db) anything over 6khz chop off....try it to see how it sounds,
the more you play with the eq the better results you will get ;)