How do i dummy load the 5150? (impulses)

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hi chaps,

Im after a cheap but safe way to dummy load the 5150 so i can record through impulses without actually having to hear the amp through the marshall cab at the same time. After a bit of searching ive not really got any closer but I saw someone make an awesome device on here somewhere once i swear!

Ultimate goal: record 5150 to PC with no cab.

Thanks in advance,

Kev

P.s

Is it better to use "SEND" or "PREAMP Out " When DIing? And also, what is the difference?

hard to explain for me, but i will try :p

The cheapest way is to put an cable into your effect loop return (leave the other end open), and using the send as preamp signal. by this you will interrupt the chain to your power amp - which means that you wouldnt hear your cab anymore.

hard to explain for me, but i will try :p

The cheapest way is to put an cable into your effect loop return (leave the other end open), and using the send as preamp signal. by this you will interrupt the chain to your power amp - which means that you wouldnt hear your cab anymore.

I don't think this will work... As soon as you flick the amp off standby it's going to blow the output transformer if the speaker jacks aren't connected to something, end of story...

I don't know if there's a cheap way really... Just use a cab and turn the post gain down pretty quiet or buy a THD Hotplate or another attenuator.

I don't think this will work... As soon as you flick the amp off standby it's going to blow the output transformer if the speaker jacks aren't connected to something, end of story...

I don't know if there's a cheap way really... Just use a cab and turn the post gain down pretty quiet or buy a THD Hotplate or another attenuator.

Unfortunately, the pre out on the 5150 is after the post gain controls. :-\ Dead patching the FX return does work. It won't totally kill the sound coming out of the cab, but it should drastically attenuate it... at least it does with my 5150 combo. You do indeed have to have a proper load connected to the speaker out, though.

With a non-master volume amp like a 5150, some sort of relatively inexpensive attenuator like a Tube Cube would work. Search for "Tube Cube," "Attenuator," etc., I remember glancing over a few threads about this stuff.

why don't you use a cab. at thomann there's a 1x12 harley benton for only 59,-€. don't think you can find any cheaper. if you want to record via send fx and with the dummy cable in the return fx, there's tone through the speaker though. if you don't want to go higher than "neighbour friendly" volume, you can hit the post gain knob at 4 max. but that should be enough. I'm doing it this way because all the cheap attenuators are to be ordered in the usa only ...

Here's the link: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112.htm it's GBP 43.21 + 7.45 shipping

I recorded the preamp out from my 5150 with a cab connected and the post gain so low that you could barely hear the speaker at all. It didn't seem to make a difference in how the preamp out sounded.

why don't you use a cab. at thomann there's a 1x12 harley benton for only 59,-€. don't think you can find any cheaper. if you want to record via send fx and with the dummy cable in the return fx, there's tone through the speaker though. if you don't want to go higher than "neighbour friendly" volume, you can hit the post gain knob at 4 max. but that should be enough. I'm doing it this way because all the cheap attenuators are to be ordered in the usa only ...

Here's the link: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112.htm it's GBP 43.21 + 7.45 shipping

You consider a post gain of "4" to be neighbor friendly? :lol:
Here, 2 is barely neighbor friendly, 4 would probably be pissing of my neighbor's neighbor's neighbors.

With my Engl Blackmore i just leave the amp on standby and plug my fx send into my sound card and add the impulse as the VST plug-in. Totally silent recording - the amp isnt even on although it is still connected to the cab

It doesnt work with my DSL100 though for some reason but try that anyway. It might work with the 5150

I made a dummy load box – cost about $30 or so, works great.
Add another $30 if you need a DI box – Behringer Ultra G is good enough.

Power resistor, aluminum body, 8 ohms, 200 watts, w/leads. $15
http://amptechtools.com/truload.htm

Input jack - $2 - $4
http://www.allparts.com/store/electronics-jacks-ep-0055-002,Product.asp

Unfinished wooden box with hinge @ any craft store $8 - $10.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz604/10/

2 x bits of wire about 2” each, solder, flux, $0

1) Drill a hole in the back or side of the wooden box for the input jack.
Test install the input jack to make sure it fits (I had to scrape the inside box a bit – box was too thick).
Remove jack to make soldering easier.
2) Solder wires to power resistor leads.
3) Solder wires to input jack – gender neutral, doesn’t matter which goes where.
Check connection with Multimeter if you suck at soldering like me.
4) Install input jack in wooden box hole.
5) I attached the resistor to the bottom of the box with Velcro so it won’t slide around.

** Note: the resistor gets pretty hot, so make sure the wooden box doesn’t catch fire or melt the Velcro.
Ideally, you should cut a piece of aluminum sheeting, glue to the bottom of the box and glue the resistor to the aluminum sheet with thermal glue.

Connect amp’s speaker/cabinet-out to DI in – with speaker cables.
Connect DI’s cabinet-out to load box – with speaker cables.
Connect DI’s output-to-mixer to ….a mixer or your PC/Mac.

:kickass:

awesome tip toxic!

here's a cheap and easy way to do the same thing, at least till you can get the real thing

take a crap speaker, wire it to a quarter inch plug and stick it in a box , cover it with pillows and blankets.

awesome tip toxic!

here's a cheap and easy way to o the same thing, at least till yau can get the real thing

take a crap speaker, wire it to a quarter inch plug and stick it in a box , cover it with pillows and blankets.

You consider a post gain of "4" to be neighbor friendly? :lol:
Here, 2 is barely neighbor friendly, 4 would probably be pissing of my neighbor's neighbor's neighbors.
If a dummy cable is connected to the return fx and the send cable goes right to the interface, then there is only 20% or sth. going through signal way and then post gain on 4 will be as loud as normally about 1. :p
going straight out with post gain at 4 will be pissing off the whole town ;)