5150 and impulses setup help..

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Ok tomorrow I'm tracking a pop punk band and the place were i record my Buddie has a 5150 and a fender cab. Ive tried micing the cab and just could not get anything i would use. So I'm wanting to run the 5150 through impulses instead. I have a digi 002 and just wondering do i go like out of the effect loop or preamp of the 5150 output strait to my digi002 mic pre or should i use a direct box in between. I guess whats I'm asking the correct way to route this?

Also I'm not sure if the 5150 has preamp output or effects loop or what the send is so you 5150 owners can correct me there.

If I am not mistaken the 5150/6505's have a preamp out jack at the back. Run a jack cable from the preamp out towards your audio interface, no direct box or whatsoever is needed or should be used.

If I am mistaken, do the same thing, but take the signal out of the "Effects loop SEND".

Did I answer your question completely or did you want to know something else?

kind regards,

Yep, TS cable from the FX send of the 5150 (with a cab connected, of course) into a Line in on your 002. What plugin are you gonna be using to load the impulses, though?

Yep, TS cable from the FX send of the 5150 (with a cab connected, of course) into a Line in on your 002. What plugin are you gonna be using to load the impulses, though?

I'm using keFIR for impulses. From what Ive used i don't think there is much latency. I could be wrong so yea let me know if thats a good choice...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!!

Wait, how are you using KeFIR with Pro Tools? Do you have the VST-->RTAS wrapper? Well regardless, I used it for a little while, but Voxengo Boogex definitely sounds noticeably better (and is also zero latency...and free :)), so I'd recommend using that instead! And since it's technically a full ampsim, to use it just for impulses just turn the four "Amplifier" controls down to zero and make sure "Dry Pre Cab" and "Dry Post Cab" are at -inf

Yea im using a VST-->RTAS wrapper with protools. I believe Boogex gave me some hella latency in protools awile back. I'm actually gonna go find out right now so i can have this strait before tomorrow.

So there is a noticeable sound difference though between these though huh?

Yeah, I definitely think so, Boogex sounds much clearer to me - if you still get latency with Boogex, though, you could always monitor while tracking with KeFIR and use Boogex for the final version though!

very true, I can imagine :)

PristineSpace also has the abilities to insert more than one impulse on one track, combine them, blend them; etc; I like it!

i don't think any IR reverb plug is going to be latency-free....boogex excels at being short on the latency since it only aspires to recreate guitar cabinets, not shit like opera halls or famous studios