5150 preamp out problem

Gyroscope

New Metal Member
Nov 19, 2001
Sweden
Hey guys!

I ran into a problem when recording the preamp out signal from my 5150. I'm a total noob when it comes to equipment and all that, i have only recorded guitars with my POD at home before.

Anyway, we got an audio interface (I think it's a Firestudio project) and PC set up at our rehearsal space for doing quick live recordings and such. I thought the easiest way of getting a good, isolated guitar track recorded was to use the preamp out jack on my 5150 into the audio interface, and then use IR's in Cubase on the track. However, the dry signal sounds like shit. I know it's supposed to sound like shit, but this sound like über shit!

Here is a link to a guitar track, please have a listen and see if you can indentify the problem.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/u3m77v1c4fc6enf/5150 preamp out.mp3?dl=1

Thanks!

You are not clipping on audio interface or anything? Sounds like it's sending some peaks. No if i remember correctly, you don't get a signal out of 5150 preamp out unless you have both standby and power on? You do have a cab there do you?

The cable from the 5150 to the Firestudio is brand new, but i guess i should check it anyway.
Also, the head is connected to a 4x12 cab at all times, and it sounds fine through the cab, although i get feedback very easily, even when i have post gain set at 1.
I put in new JJ tubes a couple of months ago, so bad tubes shouldn't be the problem...if i didn't fuck up while installing them.

What do you med by the Send Output being activated?

Thanks

Don't know if this will fix your problem, but when I did this with my 5150, I preferred the sound of the signal from the FX Send rather than the Preamp Out. If you need them, I have some impulses in my signature that I made with my 5150 rig, you are free to use them if you like.

You might be clipping the interface, or maybe you are down a preamp tube and this is what that sounds like on preamp level signal?

You wrote that you take the "preamp out" signal. I just saw that the 5150 really has one :D Most amps don't have it :)

How does the signal sound if you connect to the "send" output? It should be equal to the preamp out.

Ok:)
Yeah, i tried the Send output too, but with same results.

Don't know if this will fix your problem, but when I did this with my 5150, I preferred the sound of the signal from the FX Send rather than the Preamp Out. If you need them, I have some impulses in my signature that I made with my 5150 rig, you are free to use them if you like.

You might be clipping the interface, or maybe you are down a preamp tube and this is what that sounds like on preamp level signal?

Hey, thanks!
I don't think clipping is the issue, as the volume on the amp was set at 1 or less. Also, the level on the interface was set fairly low, no red or orange lights were flashing as i was recording.

About the preamp tubes...how should i check them? Pull one out, replace with one of my old tubes, then check the signal? Or is there any other way to see, feel or hear if a tube is broken?

Ok, if the cable is really ok and the input of your audio interface is really ok, I would check next the preamp tube buffering the send/return. Perhaps it's fucked up. It's the V4 in the 5150 I think.
Thanks!
I'll check the tube in the V4 slot!

put a patch cable from the send to the return. are u still getting that crackle? if u are i think your loop is jacked. if not then if u have the same tubes in all the preamp slots try switching them all around. then i would trey a different amp to see if its the interface

Thank's for all the help, i found out what the problem was. The fucking phantom power was on on the audio interface...so i give one of these to myself:
618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

Anyway, now that everything is working, the 5150 + Bugera 333 XL Infinium + Fredman impulses = AWESOME GUITAR TONE!