Dual rec + 5150

MrLee

Jul 31, 2006
Oslo, Norway
Hi! Me and my band are recording a demo again soon. We have a dual rec 3ch, 5150 blockletters, 5150 II and a tripple x. Cabinetts are Mesa standard 4x12 v30 and a cheap v30 cab (dont remember the brand..)
A Ampeg svt rockhead with 2X15 ampeg cab for bass.

On our last demo we used POD xt with great result, but it lacked a little bit of low end and punch. The drums and vocal and bass was really good..

Thing is Im the engineer and mixer so my cab mic skills are terrible, but still I at least want to TRY to mic the amps (both guitar and bass).

I want to use the dual rec and the 5150 + mesa cab + sm57 + ibanez ts 9.
so, I really like Testament - the gathering kinda sound, you know modern and big.

So to save time I would appriciate some settings and mic placements one the 5150 and dual rec and cab that would work well.
I also have a THD hotplate so I will record the line out to use with impulses if I fail the miccing part :p
And if everything fails Ill use the POD xt (its really great, but lacks just a little bit attac and low end, coud be me though..)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=834703 (test song with pod xt)

So, if anybody have some great tips, videos etc one recording amp and mic please tell me!

Thansk!

Theres a billion and one ways to record guitars. I can give you some tips tho.

If you want use both the amps, dont bother blending them at all, Double track all your guitar parts and use one amp per take. i.e Guitar Part One, Do two takes, one using the Recto the other using 5150. This with get you the thickness.

Settings: Dont use identical setting on the amp. With those amps i would say the 5150 has a bit more mdrange than the recto so dont go over board with midrange on the reco coz it would be naturally midrange prominant. Also, Keep the gain down, as much as it would sound bad by it self, the double tracking holds gain.

Mic placement: Single 57- aiming at the join of the dust cap and the cone.
for more mids move it further into the cone, for less low en attack, move it further away from the cab, perhaps an inch. On axis aswell.

Volume: Loud....

Processing: Pan each take of each Track to the same side, as far as EQ goes, i try to use as little as possible, but if they are lacking life in the mix look at a 2 - 3db boost at
400hz, 1.5 khz, 5 khz and 9 khz, and for a little bit of cab rumble maybe a tad at 80-100.

I usually rolloff at about 40- 60hz to make room for bass.

With a very similar setup i did this track here using that exact process except we were using a Framus Dragon.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=819521

I hope this has been helpful man,

Let us all know how you go with it:kickass:

All the way from Oslo, good to see you! My favorite death metal band, Extol, hails from Oslo.

Trep pretty much gave the best summation, the only things I would add would be maybe quad-tracking the guitars if you're still missing a large stereo image with the guitars, again changing the settings ever so slightly with each take.

You got enough impulses ready just in case? I've got a bunch saved up from this place if you need to upload 'em. Just let me know and I'll fileshare.

Cheers!

Yeah! Thanks guys! I have a bunch of impulses, but if you have some you really recommend I really want them (cause I really get lost in all the impulses :p) ! And if you some impulses for BASS that would be great! Thanks again!

Nope, only if I fail at miccing the cab, I have done it like two times in my life! And Im 95% happy with my POD tone, so the Amp+cab sound must be 96% or better! So, I doubt Ill manage to get that kinda good sound third time I try to mic an amb+cab! But Ill try!

Nope, only if I fail at miccing the cab, I have done it like two times in my life! And Im 95% happy with my POD tone, so the Amp+cab sound must be 96% or better! So, I doubt Ill manage to get that kinda good sound third time I try to mic an amb+cab! But Ill try!

dude, i would be mic'ing that shit up DAILY until you got it down to a science...with that sort of firepower at your hands, you could take over the f'ing world

Rampager! relativt nytt, vi startet i fjor sommer, hva heter dere?

Btw. heres first mix try of the first song (forest of screams)!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=834703

Cool, i'll check you out. My own band is called blackcomedy.
myspace.com/blackcomedymetal.

You should be able to get alot more crushing tone with your amps rather then your pod, specially in the mids. Point the 57 on-axis where the cone joins the dustcap one inch from the grill. Back of the treble and gain but cranch the precense of your amp. Also remember to use your ts9. gain minimum, tone and balance 12 o clock. Play loud so the speaker actually moves a little.

Record two tracks of recto and two tracks of 5150. Pan so you have one of each amp in both channels left and right. Use the same cabinett and mic position with both amps and stay with one mic only for now. It's gonna sound tighter that way.
Also remember to do HPF@60hz and LPF@12khz.

Hey man, Instigator is a very nice album :) The guitars have a nice twang to them.

Thanx man, i'm really happy how it turned out. What tunes do you like best from it?
Btw, guitars where four tracks EMG707 - Ts9 - Triple Recto/6505 - ENGL standard cab - SM57 - API.