I'm recording a "Dredg" type band...

csholtmeier

Mar 10, 2007
Omaha, NE
Almost have click tracks and scratch guitars done.

Drums will be done at a studio with a big live room, nice board, and top-notch mics.

Bass will probably be Sansamp and Ampeg SVX.

I'm thinking SM7b for Vox. Maybe LDC.

What do you suggest I use to mic guitars? I'm thinking I5 and a LDC? What about the SM7b? Lead guy plays a Strat thru a Dual-Rec head and Mesa Cab. Rhythm guy is Les Paul thru a Hughes & Kettner. Lots of effects and delays.

I recommend you try to look at Amplitube 2 while you're messing around with SVX. I just spent a few hours last night going between the two plugs while tracking bass and found that my BDDI > Amplitube 2 - Modern Lead > SIR Ampeg 810 impulse sounded pretty damn sweet. The modern lead added a nice high mid compression that I couldn't get out of any of the SVX heads.

Use a room mic on the guitars to add ambience when the songs call for it.

Can you post it or a link when it's done? I'd like to hear it.

I'll definitely post it when I'm done, I'm thinking I might even post the tracks for you guys to mix (pending bands approval of course).

I'm really interested to hear people's opinions on a condensor (large or small) versus an SM7b on the guitars.

I've had pretty good results with an AT 4033 on cabs for more indie rock kinda stuff. Just take a day to play with stuff if time constraints allow.

What mics do you have access to?

Typical 57/58's, SM7b, E609, RE20, ATM25, I5, AT3031 (pair), various large condensors. No ribbons though.

I've never had good results using a large condensors on guitars, what are using for mic placemnet?

Too bad about no ribbons, that might have been your ticket home. As for LDC placement, it's really up to the room rather I would use one or not. If the room sounds good, start about 8 or 9 inches back if the mic can take it, then slowly pull back until it's too much. If I'm doing this rout, I usually end up Somewhere around a foot or so. Keep a 57 up there too, go with what you know, and make DAMN SURE you check for phase. If the room sounds good, you can get plenty of it in a second or third mic and mix and match. With this type of music, the room will come in handy for you I promise.